Technical > Luggage

Do I take a lock on a world tour??

<< < (11/11)

martinf:

--- Quote from: mickeg on March 12, 2018, 10:07:19 pm ---If I have to park a bike in an area where I need a better lock, I am inclined to ride my Bridgestone instead.

--- End quote ---

When possible, if riding in what I consider high theft risk areas I either:

- use my old utility bike, with 3 locks, a frame lock to immobilise frame-rear wheel, a heavy chain to lock front wheel and frame to a post or similar, finally a small cable lock to lock my old home-made pannier bags to the rack. This bike has low theft value - well worn leather saddle more than 30 years old, obsolete 5 speed hub gear, old TA cranks, pedals from about 1980, etc.

- or I take my lightest Brompton folder, and carry it with me wherever I go (into the shops I visit, or to meetings, etc.)

I do have a reasonable quality Abus Granit Futura 64 U-Lock, which I use occasionally for parking one of my Thorn bikes, for example when shopping on tour.

Matt2matt2002:
Not a world tour ( yet 😉 ) but just back from my 4/5 week tour of Ethiopia.
I used a no name combo cable and rarely left the bike out of sight. At night the Raven was tucked up cozy with me in the guesthouse bedroom.

It's a risk factor game of chance. Reduce the odds as much as possible within the boundaries of personal beliefs.

Best security I had was am armed guard outside a bank I visited when changing money. But he wasn't portable. 😂

Pavel:
Perhaps rather than locks, it may be most effective to buy a rear trailer and visit your local animal shelter for you new Pit Bull traveling companion. Make sure to pick up a six foot leash and a water bowl on you way home. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version