Author Topic: Will my Canon 50D camera fit in an Ortlieb Ultimate 5 (medium) handlebar bag?  (Read 2837 times)

Sinnerman

Unfortunately I am in SE Asia, with no access to Ortlieb cycle gear.  Therefore I am having to order things somewhat blindly.  A bit frustrating, but what to do?

I was wondering if anyone has tried to fit a similar camera into the Ortlieb handlebar bag.  I assume this is a fairly normal thing to do, but thought I'd check.

My camera has a fairly good size - jack of all trades - lens.

Many thanks

Tom

jonnystv

• DARE Foundation
Hi Tom

I'm currently using the largest Ortlieb bar bag, 8.5 litres I think. I have a Pentax K-r SLR, I'm not sure how it compares in size to your camera bit I don't think its any bigger. Using the large Ortlieb bag allows me to fit in camera as well as valuables and snacks. I'd looked at the smaller bags but didn't feel there was enough room left over after the camera was in there. If you only need room for the camera and say wallet and passport then the smaller bag would likely be just fine.

Cheers
Jonathan

neil_p

Hi, I had a Canon 5D and 20-70mm L-series lens, which is similar size/weight to your 50D. I initially planned to put it in an Ortlieb bar bag, but it filled the bag, would not have been protected in a crash, and left no room for anything else. In the end, I put it in it's small Lowepro case at the top of my pannier. When I stopped for cafe/shop, I took my bar bag and camera. Another factor is that the extra weight in the bar bag affects steering, and can make the bar bag bounce around, which is quite disconcerting.