Community > Cycle Tours

Navigating the canals

<< < (2/3) > >>

Brains:
We cycled along a sustrans route that follows the Kennett and Avon canal from Reding to Bristol in 3 days, about half the time on the towpath, the only problem we had was inpassable mud on one short section (well impassable on a Thorn nomad with semi-slick tyres and mudguards, the wifes MTB with knobblies and without mudguards was fine)

Jeremy Smith:
I know only the section from Watford to Tring, and the towpath surface varies considerably along this stretch.  I live in Berkhamsted and often need to travel in to Watford, a distance of about 12 miles.  Thinking to avoid the main roads, I thought it would be a good idea to ride along the canal, so I tried it - once.  It was slow, so bumpy in places that it practically shook the fillings out of my teeth, and elsewhere so muddy that I fell off and narrowly avoided a nasty accident.

Personally, I would avoid the towpath.  It's a shame, because if the path was properly tarmacked (where is Sustrans when it's needed?), it would be an excellent way of getting more people to get out of their cars and commute by bike.

lundon2210:
hello ahconway
it doesnt say on your message how far your planning on going on the G.U.C. but i can tell u for sure that the paths remain fairly good as far as M.K after that there a bit hit and miss, the main problem is that not enuff people cycle or walk along large sections on the towpath. which can make it difficult to ride along, as there not worn in enough. having said that, the last time i rode along the bit north of M.K. it was shortly after the foot n mouth problems. so that would account for it not being as well worn.
next summer im planning on towpath cycling from where i live in watford. all the way to manchester. cycling the G.U.C, oxford, coventry, trent n mersey and macclesfield canal. doing roughly 35 miles per day, and camping as we go. me being my girlfreind and me. yes, ive found a woman brave/daft enough to join me. 35 miles a day is a piece of cake along a smooth path. but when it gets rough for long periods of time, it can start to wear u down.
however, for keen canal cyclists, by far and away my best recomendation, would be whats known as the south pennine ring. starting at manchester, u follow the rochdale canal to the huddersfield narrow canal. which will lead u back to manchester. 67 miles, 198 locks, yes, its hilly. mostly good paths. R.C being slightly better paths. and the most fantastic scenary, you will have to remind yourself your still in england. slight problem of a 3 and a half mile tunnel that u cant get through. as cyclists are banned. dont ask me why. bit of a trek over the top. but again, fntastic scenary.
ok, im starting to waffle now, ive no idea if anyone will even read this. if anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask. as ive cycled many canals in england.
 Gary.

Sprocket:
Gary,
Is that 3 1/2 mile tunnel the one that emerges at Marsden? I talked to a few local mountain bikers who claimed to have cycled it some years ago. Sounds a bit dodgy to me. Pretty sure that you would be better going over the top.

lundon2210:
hello sprocket/nick
in reply to your question, yes its the one at marsden, known as the standage tunnel, the longest canal tunnel in britain. im not sure how anyone could have cycled it, owing to the fact that there isnt a towpath in the tunnel. same as most tunnels of any sizeable lenth. anymore questions about canal cycling please feel free to ask.
  Gary

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version