Author Topic: Source of clicking found... I hope!  (Read 3110 times)

neil_p

Source of clicking found... I hope!
« on: August 03, 2011, 03:12:28 pm »
My Thorn has had an annoying click for the last couple of months... I removed the cranks, slid out the EBB, reassembled it; did an oil change; fitted new pedals (which were on their last legs)... and still this infernal clicking, every 2 or 3 pedal strokes. It seemed to be coming from the rear sprocket, but I realised that if the chain had a stiff link in it, that could make a click every time it went round the sprocket.  Lo and behold I found the stiff link.... which looked like this...

The stiff link (in the centre of the photo) has a broken roller... which may be the cause of the stiffness. I've never had a broken chain before... how exciting!  I'll remove that link from the chain and revert my EBB back to the "as new" position.

neil_p

Re: Source of clicking found... I hope!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 04:38:49 pm »
Close examination of the chain has revealed 4 links in total with broken rollers... surely that's a lot for a chain that has done 8000km?

julk

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 06:45:26 pm »
And a Rohloff chain to boot!

If you are looking for another Rohloff chain then Triton Cycles are the cheapest just now...

neil_p

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 07:10:45 pm »
Cheers. I have emailed Rohloff to see what they say... as I'm rather disappointed with the short lifespan of the chain.

If I replace the chain, I'm then back to the old chestnut of whether to reverse cog and sprocket (which are hardly worn).  SJS say I should... reliable sources on the forum say not to. Ho hum :)

brummie

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 07:50:49 pm »
I had the same happen with a Rohloff chain.... can't remember how many miles, but quite a few..

geocycle

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 01:08:34 pm »
Cheers. I have emailed Rohloff to see what they say... as I'm rather disappointed with the short lifespan of the chain.

If I replace the chain, I'm then back to the old chestnut of whether to reverse cog and sprocket (which are hardly worn).  SJS say I should... reliable sources on the forum say not to. Ho hum :)

I'd fit the chain and if it feels rough reverse the sprocket and chainwheel.  If not then you should be OK.  All I would say is don't leave it too late to reverse as you can reach a point of no return.  8000km is not great but not awful for a chain, although I would expect more from a rohloff chain unless you've done a lot of offroad miles.

neil_p

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 06:23:54 pm »
I'd fit the chain and if it feels rough reverse the sprocket and chainwheel.  If not then you should be OK.  All I would say is don't leave it too late to reverse as you can reach a point of no return.  8000km is not great but not awful for a chain, although I would expect more from a rohloff chain unless you've done a lot of offroad miles.

Only about 50 miles off road... but then the British weather can make everything seem like you're off road!  I will try the new chain with the sprocket/chainring as is and see how it feels.

Just ordered a new Rohloff chain from Triton Cycles (thanks for the recommendation JulK).  Rohloff have asked me to post them my old chain, you never know I might get a free replacement.