Author Topic: Brooks seats vs Rolls  (Read 3743 times)

ahconway

Brooks seats vs Rolls
« on: October 21, 2004, 04:55:28 pm »
I'm going to Bridgwater on Monday (Oct 25th) to spec out my Raven Adventure Tour. I'm so excited!

I've got a pretty good idea about most of the bits I want, but I'm on the fence about the seat... on my racing bike I've gone through a half dozen seats or so over the past few years and finally settled on a Fisik Pave'.

But for the more upright position of the straight-barred Raven, I'm considering a Brooks (I particularly like the Honey finish!). I know the Rolls is the granddaddy of touring saddles, but I've never ridden one.

Can anyone clue me in on the pros and cons of the Rolls vs Brooks? I'm concerned about the break-in period of the Brooks, and that if I need to keep it out of the rain and treat it with this and that, it will offset the maintenance-free aspect of my fabulous new hub gear!

Sprocket

Re: Brooks seats vs Rolls
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 11:34:49 pm »
Saddles are such a personal thing I would be very wary of anyone telling you that the Brooks is better than the Rolls, or vice versa. I like Brooks and use them all the time. My first Brooks Professional took about 300 miles to break in, all in one excrutiating long weekend. My second was also a professional which took nearer to 500 miles to break in, despite being pre-softened. After that, they just get better and better. Maintenance is not too onerous, just rub in some Proofide every now and again. I find it easier to apply with my bare fingers, the warmth helps it rub in. My present 15 year old Brooks is sadly starting to rot and won't last much longer. They will normally last longer than this, I have probably neglected the waxing. Most people cover the saddle with a plastic bag if they have to leave a Brooks out in the elements for any length of time, a wise precaution.
        The honey saddles look fantastic and attract a lot of casual interest. I always lock mine to my cable lock when I leave the bike parked, as I think it is far more likely to be pinched than my expensive but unattractive wheels. I doubt that any bike theives would get very excited about my tatty Rolls.
       One great thing about a nicely polished Brooks is just how slippery they are. They don't offer any resistance to your thighs when pedalling, and are unlikely to chafe your legs. Better stop there, I'm starting to sound like a leather fetishist.
        In one of his books, Richard Ballantyne tells the story of two cyclists setting off to go to India together. One had the latest high tech gel saddle, the other an old fashioned Brooks. After the first couple of days both were in a lot of pain, so they swapped saddles. Neither felt uncomfortable for the rest of the trip. No one can tell you which is the saddle for you.
Cheers, Sprocket.

femmcommuter

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 11:47:26 pm »
I have the Brooks honey and it does not take that long to 'break in'. In fact it was more comforatble from day one. I would say it took around 50 miles to start softening. upon how easy the honey say i also had a black B17 and I have given that to a friend to try and even a non cyclist commentated how the only thing they liked about my bike was the saddle.

Although getting soaked on a ride it just sqashed back into shape and it looked like a hammock before it dried back. Must admit it is a bit of a pain to remember to cover it up - usually I have to rush out as I see the rain start![V]

ahconway

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 05:35:31 pm »
Thanks for the tips.

One more question: will I be relegated to wearing black shorts with a Brooks saddle? I've ridden with plenty of cyclists with telltale (or telltail?) black or brown smudges on their bums.

Sprocket

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2004, 01:10:11 pm »
I think that mainly happens just after waxing. Anyway, it is a price worth paying. good luck for tomorrow, let us know how you go on.

Stijn

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2004, 11:41:06 am »
They give of skid marks, if you leave them to soak in the rain. The leather starts releasing all sorts.  My first two Brooks saddles were always left out in the rain, the hard life of a Dutch city bike. The saddles still lasted me a couple of years.

I’ve just bought a rain cover for my saddle, which I’m planning to leave on it, semi permanently. I hope this is going to give me the best of both world.

Cheers,

Stijn

asterix

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2004, 04:04:57 pm »
quote:
My first two Brooks saddles were always left out in the rain, the hard life of a Dutch city bike. The saddles still lasted me a couple of years.

My oldest Brooks was 19 when the bike was stolen.  Still in excellent shape.  All you need is a supermarket placcy bag in order to bestow this longevity onto a Brooks saddle.

Must say, though, go for the new ti railed versions if you can.

cyclo2000

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2004, 04:59:08 pm »
My god. In the seventies I and most of the guys I knew were running around on Brooks narrow saddles from the 50s! It was the 80s before they started wearing out.

coolboarder

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2004, 03:40:10 pm »
Why bother with wearing-in a leather saddle and all that maintenance and it still won't be as comfortable as a modern saddle design. I've never liked Rolls saddles but it is a matter of (very) personal choice. The Sella Italia Flite Titanium Genuine Gel is the most comortable I've ever used.
They are equally useful for racing, touring or mountain biking. The best testimony I can make is that the first day I went out on one I intended scoring it for comfort but I rode for 3 hours and only realised when I got back that I'd forgotten all about it and hadn't even noticed I'd been on a saddle at all. I then went out and bought one each for all my bikes. I'm thinking about trying a Fizik Aliante but the Flites are so comfortable I can't see the point.

[8D]