Author Topic: About to treat myself to RST  (Read 6198 times)

Cambirder

About to treat myself to RST
« on: July 20, 2011, 09:41:51 pm »
Back in February I decided that climbing hills on my Galaxy was getting harder and not much fun. Not the fault of the bike, but down to me eating to much junk and drinking to much beer resulting in the poor old bike having to carry a 105kg (16.5 stone) human load.

Something had to be done so as an incentive I promised to get a new bike once I had got rid of 25kg of excess blubber. Originally I was looking at at a RT but as the weight has come off I have felt fitter, am riding faster and now actually look forward to a nice climb so am now thinking a RST is the way to go (I only ride tarmac and good track and do nothing more adventurous than a long weekend tour).

The spec I have almost decided on includes Son hub and DT Swiss rims. A lot more than I was originally going to spend, but its cheaper than long term gym membership and hopefully will help me lose another 10kg and keep it off with some winter rides (may even take the plunge with a few audax rides next year).

doug

• The Cycle Hub
Re: About to treat myself to RST
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 06:32:56 am »
So have you taken the plunge yet?  Hope it goes well.  I remember being like a kid waiting for Christmas once I'd placed an order.

I too have a Galaxy (c1984) but went for a Mk3 Audax.
http://thecyclehub.net - The life long joy of cycling

Paulson

• My Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 09:03:23 am »
Back in February I decided that climbing hills on my Galaxy was getting harder and not much fun. Not the fault of the bike, but down to me eating to much junk and drinking to much beer resulting in the poor old bike having to carry a 105kg (16.5 stone) human load.

Something had to be done so as an incentive I promised to get a new bike once I had got rid of 25kg of excess blubber. Originally I was looking at at a RT but as the weight has come off I have felt fitter, am riding faster and now actually look forward to a nice climb so am now thinking a RST is the way to go (I only ride tarmac and good track and do nothing more adventurous than a long weekend tour).

The spec I have almost decided on includes Son hub and DT Swiss rims. A lot more than I was originally going to spend, but its cheaper than long term gym membership and hopefully will help me lose another 10kg and keep it off with some winter rides (may even take the plunge with a few audax rides next year).

You won't regret your choice.  If it is any help, I didi an article recently about my first year with an RST:

http://paulmor.wordpress.com/2011/06/17/thorn-raven-sport-tour-one-year-on/

Cambirder

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 11:23:57 am »
With permission from the family "treasurer" I ordered last week  ;D, so I should have it in time for a mini tour of Suffolk starting on the 8th Sept.

Like Paul I have gone for matt black so If you see one cruising the lanes around the coastal lanes of Suffolk in early September the rider's name is likely to be Paul.

Paul

Paulson

• My Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 02:45:55 pm »
With permission from the family "treasurer" I ordered last week  ;D, so I should have it in time for a mini tour of Suffolk starting on the 8th Sept.

Like Paul I have gone for matt black so If you see one cruising the lanes around the coastal lanes of Suffolk in early September the rider's name is likely to be Paul.

Paul

Paul, or, indeed, Paul!

Cambirder

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 09:55:53 pm »
Drove down to  Bridgwater to pick up my new RST today. Tomorrow it gets its first real ride will try and post some pics after the ride.

Cambirder

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 08:59:43 pm »
And this is what she looked like this morning  :)

Does not quite look the same now as that nice cool black frame is looking rather dusty after a some track riding. I've also swapped out that nice honey Brooks saddle to a broken in black flyer ready for 4 days of rides on the Suffolk / Norfolk coast later next week.

Only ridden 22 miles so far but love it, and am now looking forward to my 1st ever audax ride at the end of the month.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 09:07:49 pm by Cambirder »

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 11:28:37 pm »
That's a beauty!

With a broken-in saddle, I bet your Audax will go very well. I've been enjoying reading various stories from the PBP that just completed. The crazy bikes people used! Helps me to realize that little niggles about this or that feature are really beside the point. There is so much that is right about a bike like this - it is a great foundation for confident riding.

Happy trails!

Relayer

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 10:32:37 am »
A lovely new RST and a mini tour all within a week, I'm jealous!    ;)

Cambirder

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 11:24:23 am »
One of the guys I'm riding with next week did this years PBP so I'm looking forward to hearing all about the agony. Can't see myself ever doing something like that, I like a good nights sleep between bouts in the saddle. I know I can comfortably do 100k in the time limit and I'm pretty sure I can work up to a 200k ride next spring or summer but I can't see myself going beyond that.

jags

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 08:47:40 pm »
yeah me too i do like a shower and a good sleep after a long ride so these audex rides are for someone else certainly not for this kid ;D ;D
nice bike though  ;)

Cedric

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 12:36:31 pm »
Dear Cambrider,

Is she 536L or 561L?

Thanks,

Cedric

Cambirder

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 12:42:48 pm »
536L.

energyman

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 03:20:11 pm »
What dynahub & lights please ?
Nice bike - shame 'bout the colour !! (mine's blue)

Cambirder

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 05:03:52 pm »
The hub is a Schmidt SON 28  driving front and rear LED lights

Front Light - Busch + Müller Lumotec IQ Cyo RT Senso  Plus LED  with DRL

Rear light - Busch + Müller Toplight Flat S Plus LED

The lights came from Bike24 in Germany http://www.bike24.de/1.php?content=8;navigation=1;product=17510;page=1;menu=1000,5,66;mid=0;pgc=0

As for the colour I was going to go with red until I saw matt black in the flesh and thought it rather cool.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 05:08:36 pm by Cambirder »