Author Topic: Tour de France  (Read 2418 times)

Fred A-M

Tour de France
« on: July 16, 2011, 05:09:04 pm »
Cracking Tour de France this year, full of incidents and surprises!

Anyone else following?

ians

Re: Tour de France
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 05:17:36 pm »
yes - one of the best and most open for years.

ians

geocycle

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 08:05:29 pm »
Currntly in France (Verdun) lots of excitement in the bars.  To be honest I am not a big fan of cycle racing but this year does seem much more interesting.  Evans or a Schleck, peut-etre?

Fred A-M

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 02:42:43 pm »
I expect it will be one of the Schlecks or Evans - Contador's leaving it very late to assert himself, if he's capable.  It's a real shame about Wiggins, probably one of the most likeable of the bunch, he would be have been a serious content.

Sadly, being French, I don't think Voeckler will be able to keep this up through the alps (notably day 2, 3 climbs of 2000m+), or if by some incredible act of inspiration he does, the time-trial will almost certainly prove decisive against him as I can't see him under any circumstance gaining time through the Alps.  Regardless, great to finally see some promising French young riders coming through at last - first tour I watched live was Fignon's TT final day loss to Lemond - it's been too long!

Again a great tour, and all the more enjoyable in having cycled through quite a few places featured in this years tour (including most of the Massif central climbs) - just over 2 years ago, I was setting out from Montpellier for a 10 day stint in the Ardeche & Tarn. 

Fred A-M

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 05:11:54 pm »
So Cadel clinches the most exciting tour in years, 100% deservedly so in my opinion.   Was lucky enough to catch the live coverage days 2 & 3 in the alps, gripping stuff.  It seems that some of Cadel's detractors won't give him any credit- the way he single-handedly rode himself back into contention against the audacious Schleck attack on day 2 of the Alps was phenomenal.   Great also to see a Frenchman win the Alp d'Huez on his way to the young rider jersey.

ians

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 08:20:43 pm »
I agree - well deserved win by Evans.  And I would like to have seen Tommy V on the podium, just for his shear gutsy performance. 

Am very pleased for Mark Cavendish - not only did he win the stage and the Green jersey - he actually made BBC television news sit up and take notice of a cycling event.

ians

Fred A-M

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 06:18:44 pm »
Yep, the Cavman is looking set to become a Tour legend and it would have been nice to see Voeckler get a podium finish for his efforts - even though his high placing was probably out of not being taken too seriously in the earlier stages, I don't think I've seen someone surpass themselves to quite such an extent without being suspected of being on drugs, or of being on better drugs than anyone else!  :D