Author Topic: Cyclosportifs  (Read 5527 times)

Cheeky

Cyclosportifs
« on: October 08, 2004, 11:13:52 pm »
I don't seem to be able to find many comments on the Cyclosportif.  While the 14 day money back guarantee gives me huge confidence, I'd welcome any comments or suggestions as to where to find "independent" reviews on ths fine looking steed!!!!

Any help greatly appreciated,

Cheers

Cheeky

luceberg

Re: Cyclosportifs
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 10:42:21 am »
I have the Cycling Plus review of this bike which I could scan and send if you like.

Cheeky

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 10:01:01 pm »
That would be fantastic if you don't mind!!!!!

Cheeky

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2004, 09:18:01 pm »
Hey "Luce"

take these salutations as public acclaim of your generosity in sending me the C+ article, you are a star.

You don't happen to know where babies come from do you?

Cheers

Cheeky

luceberg

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2004, 02:45:21 pm »
Cheeky, You're welcome! Best wishes for your iminent purchase. Luce

cyclo2000

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2004, 12:03:49 pm »
Luceberg,
I know it's a bit cheeky of me but I was wondering if you could forward me a copy of the scan of the review of the Cyclosportif.
I've been dithering between the Audax 853 and the Cyclo now for weeks cos I can't find any reviews.
I'd be so grateful and Robin would finally get an order!

Thanks, hope you can help,
D.

Cheeky

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2004, 10:50:44 pm »
Cyclo,

I'll send you my copy if you email me your address now that I have committed and placed the order for the Cyclosportif this week!!!!!!!

Cheers

Cheeky

cyclo2000

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2004, 10:24:09 am »
Cheeky,
I've sent you an email.
How about your own review, here on the forum, once you have the bike?
When's it coming anyway?

coolboarder

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2004, 06:19:46 pm »
I bought my Cyclosportif last year with the intention of it being a fast winter trainer and lightweight touring bike with the possibilty of some audax rides or even the etape. I had Campagnolo Chorus put on instead of SJS's preferred Shimano because I am a huge Campy fan and I've never looked back. It is quite simply the best bike I have ever owned. Although it is not particularly light, just short of 21lb with mudguards it is so smooth and responsive that I prefer it to my Massi Cendra Scandium with Campag Record that weighs 16lb and cost £3.5K. I did a 200 mile ride with panniers in the summer and the bike felt like it was going by itself with only the slightest effort required to go uphill. I felt I could do another 200 afterwards. I actually look forward to wet days so I have an excuse to ride it rather than the racing bike and my Dave Russel training bike is gathering dust in the shed! Anyone who is thinking of buying a Cyclosportif - go for it you'll be delighted, you won't need the guarantee. It's worth upgrading the wheels and get a lighter seatpost and bars if you can afford it and replace those headset spacer rings with some carbon ones. Get the Flame Starburst it is devastatingly good looking but it does come up more yellow than the webpage shows. And finally put on some Michelin Pro Race tyres, they're slick but they grip in all weather and I've had just one puncture in the past 18 months and that was a shard of glass in filthy weather.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 05:19:22 pm by coolboarder »

GoTandem

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2004, 01:02:01 pm »
Go for it.
I have had mine Sportif for 1.5 year now, and coolborder had just said it. It is a great bike.
Mine is as well ( of course) fitted whit campy

Here in DK people is not so used to this kind of bikes, but for sure they take an extra look, when i pass them.[8D]

Lars

Cheeky

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2004, 09:27:40 pm »
Glad to hear you guys equipped your Bikes with Campy, my intention is the same, transfering my Veloce triple over and then gradually upgrading as and when the Missus will allow!!!!!

I've gone for all satin orange as the flame starburst was a bit too yellow for my liking, I'll post a review afetr the first ride!!!

Cheers

Cheeks

Cheeky

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2005, 08:40:01 pm »
As requested, here is the "SP" on the build and first few rides. The build up was very straightforward and took me about 5 nights work from bare frame to fully finished.  Anybody thinking of doing this themselves should have a go, its actually quite straightforward if you've got the right tools, although if you are buying the tools as a one off then it's probably more cost effectice to let SJS build it up for you.

The first ride was a bit disappointing as the bike felt slower than I had imagined!!  I then remembered the age old equation of "(tired rider + large Christmas Dinner + Pudding + Too many Quality Street) divided by (not ridden much for the last 3 weeks + unusual terrain with too many hiils) = slow, stumbling ride with well below average speed making any bike a rider feel like tired old hacks"!!!!!

It wasn't until I got the bike back home and rode on my more familiar terrain that I had something to compare it with and WOW, smooth, fast, up the hills like they weren't there, and very comfortable.  All in all the most comfortable bike I own and only slightly slower than my Altec 2 Tri bike.  I'm yet to take it on a decent length (50+) ride but hope to within the next 3 to 4 weeks.

If you are undecided as to whether the bike is worth the money (I am in no way up to the ability of an £800 frame) the ride is great, quality fantastic and well worth the investment.  The quality of the frame is superb and the paintwork fantastic in a satin Burnt Orange.

All in all, top bike (although I'm still not a great fan of the squiggly font used on the top tube for the Bike's name, but I can more than live with that).

Thanks Guys.

Cheeky

coolboarder

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2005, 11:02:10 am »
Pleased to hear Cheeky that your overall impressions were positive. I met up with some guys on ultra-lightweight bikes on one of my rides over the new year and despite their exotic hardwear they were well impressed with my Cyclosportif.

It may have been an advantage to have built up your own bike. I have been very impressed with everything SJS but I did my first major overhaul on my bike last week after 18months and found that their mechanics had screwed everything together a bit too tight with no anti-seize on the threads. Everything seemed to be started to cold-weld and it was extremely difficult to remove the pedal spindles from the cranks and the cranks from the bottom bracket axle - I had to resort to wrenches and a large club hammer! And, I cannot get the bolts holding the chain rings to the crankset spider to shift at all but any bits I had serviced previously and lubricated myself have been fine. So the moral is - if you have bought a made up bike from SJS loosen every fitting after a few months and lubricate them if you want to be able to take the bike to bits in the future.

Frenchie

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2005, 11:26:50 am »
Hi guys:

I have been looking at the cyclosportif and wouln't mind having a look at the C+ review... [:o)]

I currently ride a Pinarello Sestriere as my winter bike and wanted a nice all-year racing steelie. I am a bit concerned by the fact that some of you found the bike "slow" and "heavy" as this would be my "Sunday best" for fastish training (I don't race)... Was Thorn able to build your bikes with Campy and if yes may I ask what they charge for a Chorus group?

I ordered my first Thorn last year, a Raven, and have been so far delighted with the bike construction.

coolboarder

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2005, 06:57:18 pm »
Frenchie. Just read my posting of 2nd November, that will set aside your reservations. I have nothing to say negative about the bike itself. If you're expecting it compete in a race against a 7kg bike you may be disappointed, although only slightly, but for what you want it is perfect. When I raced seriously all bikes were steel and the best bikes weighed what the Cyclosportif weighs now but I don't remember them being as responsive or comfortable as this. SJS will make it up with Campagnolo. My bike with Chorus 10 speed group, Shimano XT SPD pedals, mudguards, carbon seatpost, lightweight bars, lightweight rack and wheel upgrades was £2,100 in June 2003. It isn't worth buying the Campag group separately from SJS cycles as they will not discount it like they will on Shimano but when you add the sums together, for what you'd save getting it from somewhere else, the saving isn't worth it to have to build it yourself unless you really want to.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 07:42:24 pm by coolboarder »