Author Topic: Newbie question time.  (Read 3545 times)

Penfold

Newbie question time.
« on: October 03, 2004, 04:50:38 pm »
I have 'returned' to cycling after an absence of far too many years.
Sold a very nice Lambretta [8D] to purchase a Bianchi road bike.
(wifey went mad [B)] )

I stumbled across the crazyguyonabike website. That started me off thinking just how much I would love to cycle tour. So as there is only one cycle builder to consider (Mr Thorn and his Exp) I have a few general questions that other members may be able to assist with.

OK ball park figures, how much would I be spending for a Exp bike with Rolhoff hub,front and rear racks and panniers?

What is the expected delivery time for such a beastie?

Is it best to visit the shop for a fitting?

How the hell do you get the wife on-side???????????

I can't rush off with my pennies just yet, but having a bit of background info can only help with the cause.

Kind regards

Pedaldog

Re: Newbie question time.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2004, 06:18:29 pm »
Good Luck Penfold... You're going to need a VERY understanding wife!

Penfold

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2004, 10:30:03 pm »
Pedaldog,

Cheers for that [:(]

At the moment my wife lets me off on my own for the odd weekend away.

However the way things are going at Penfold towers she will be packing the panniers for me [:p] and waving me off [:D]

Looking at the Thorn site and many other travel diaries I anticipate that there is little change for a fully loaded tourer (Exp) out of
£2K(?) Then you have to fill the panniers with tent/stove etc.

If I am to do the touring bit I would want to wild camp as much as possible,(tight git) Wifey also bought me the Ray Mears book last xmas (another subtle hint from her?)

Well perhaps someone will give me answers to the these questions so I can begin to save, beg, steal or borrow the required wad before I get too old to start at all.

Kind regards

Motty

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2004, 08:29:08 am »

I need one as well. Have you seen Team Triplets posts about his one.

Mrs Motty will not accept the price tag yet

Cheers
Richard

Andrew

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2004, 09:07:37 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Penfold

Pedaldog,

Cheers for that [:(]

At the moment my wife lets me off on my own for the odd weekend away.

However the way things are going at Penfold towers she will be packing the panniers for me [:p] and waving me off [:D]

Looking at the Thorn site and many other travel diaries I anticipate that there is little change for a fully loaded tourer (Exp) out of
£2K(?) Then you have to fill the panniers with tent/stove etc.

If I am to do the touring bit I would want to wild camp as much as possible,(tight git) Wifey also bought me the Ray Mears book last xmas (another subtle hint from her?)

Well perhaps someone will give me answers to the these questions so I can begin to save, beg, steal or borrow the required wad before I get too old to start at all.

Kind regards

Hi,

Best to have a chat with "Mr. Thorn" in person (Robin), his direct dial is 01278 441522

Regards
Andrew

LowFlyingHawk

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2004, 01:37:18 pm »
I second Andrew's advice.  After conversing with the Boss I ended up getting a different bike to what I had first intended (which was cheaper for me).  

Camping is not necessarily a 'tight git' activity, either (well not in this end of the planet).  Good camping gear costs a fortune. Like a good bicycle, though, good camping gear will last you many trips which saves accomodation costs over many a happy holiday.

Penfold

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2004, 11:35:19 pm »
Andrew,
Many thanks for the contact number. Come the time brother, come the time. [:)]

LFH,
If I lived in Australia I would be out camping every weekend doing my impression of 'The bush tucker man' (No Land Rover though...Where does he get his diesel from in the middle of the bush???)

Motty,
Yep I have been viewing Team triplets web site and very nice it is too. [8D] That is one nice bike...

Kind regards