Author Topic: Any recommendations for decent waterproof overshoes?  (Read 5866 times)

neil_p

Any recommendations for decent waterproof overshoes?
« on: June 15, 2011, 07:00:00 pm »
I've just done my 15 mile commute... in torrential rain. I have no overshoes at the moment - I sold my Gore Bikewear ones as they felt cumbersome and did not fit my Shimano RT51 shoes very well (seemed to upwards off the heel). I have also tried Altura ones before them.

Can anyone recommend any good waterproof overshoes? If they work, then money is (virtually) no object as I am fed up with duff overshoes and wet feet!  :)

cake

Re: Any recommendations for decent waterproof overshoes?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 07:03:26 am »
Hi Neil,

I use BBB Hardwear (winter i think) neoprene overshoes.  I use a size 46 Specialized shoe and the 45 / 46 overshoe fits really well (very snugly).

As i'm sure you know, water will get in eventually, but i used these on Sunday while riding in the wet for about 6 hours.  My feet were really quite dry - and warm thanks to the lack of the wind chill effect.

I'm on my second pair - i wouldn't have bought them again if they were poor.

So that is my recommendation, for what it's worth!

Cheers,

Gary.

neil_p

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 11:25:03 am »
Hi Neil,

I use BBB Hardwear (winter i think) neoprene overshoes.  I use a size 46 Specialized shoe and the 45 / 46 overshoe fits really well (very snugly).

As i'm sure you know, water will get in eventually, but i used these on Sunday while riding in the wet for about 6 hours.  My feet were really quite dry - and warm thanks to the lack of the wind chill effect.

I'm on my second pair - i wouldn't have bought them again if they were poor.

So that is my recommendation, for what it's worth!

Cheers,

Gary.

Thanks for that... on http://www.wiggle.co.uk/bbb/overshoes/ they have 3 models of BBB overshoes... Waterflex, Hardwear and Heavy Duty... any idea of the difference? They all seem quite similar and I can't find a BBB website.

cake

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 04:34:05 pm »
According to the description, the other two types have a velcro under-strap instead of a fixed part of the overshoe, so that they can be used with inline skates.

neil_p

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 11:58:15 am »
From looking at http://www.bbbparts.com (finaly found the website!!) I have found the following:

Hardwear BWS-04 - for cold and wet weather
Heavy Duty BWS-02 - for cold weather
Heavy Duty BWS-02B - for cold weather
Lightflex BWS-10 - neither cold nor wet weather
Raceproof BWS-01 - cold weather
Speedflex BWS-14 - wet weather
Ultraflex BWS-08 - cold and wet weather
Ultrawear BWS-12 - cold and wet weather
Waterflex BWS-03 - wet weather

I'm umming and arring between the Hardwear BWS-04 and Waterflex BWS-03....

freddered

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 08:09:29 pm »
Altura Night Vision City overshoes if you can find them.

Bulky but ultra hard-wearing, waterproof and fit over most shoes.

Ideal commuter overshoe

il padrone

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 08:39:24 am »
I've been using the BBB Waterflex overshoes. They are generally very good for up to 1-2 hours in rain (I also use mudguards). Now after several years they are starting to let some water in  :(

I have just received some Showerspass Club Shoe Covers (cost $US40) and they seem to be excellent according to a friend. I have yet to use them in the wet.