Author Topic: Sprung seat or suspension seatpost???  (Read 17144 times)

sfbiker

Re: Sprung seat or suspension seatpost???
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2005, 03:15:40 am »
Colin:  Thanks again for responding.  My Brooks Flyer Trekking arrived by mail.  Its hard alright.  I assume you HAVE to use the Brooks Proofide to break in the beast.
Peter

Pedaldog

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2005, 05:05:40 pm »
I can't remember what it is called but I got some saddle rub from a Horse riding shop and that works well on the Brooks.

n/a

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2005, 02:47:44 pm »
I use the cheaper gel filled seats in vinyl and to date cannot complain about a double coil seat, on rough roads do save rim damge and can be suprisingly comfortable. If this is too old fashined then try the blocks, elastemer I think instead.

johnnyb

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2007, 12:54:08 pm »
Can't offer any suggestions on sprung seat, only that I'm looking into the Thudbuster ST seatpost in which to mount my Specialized Alias saddle which is very good for me, as a long distance cyclist and labourer(about 73kg's). I've discovered a SNAB or 'Sensitive New Age Back' after being rear ended by a car. The cause the demise of my last bike (Hence my purchase of a Thorn - Catalyst).

I'm interested knowing whether the Thudbuster ST will eat up enough small bumps and road roughage that the steel frame doesn't reduce, and help keep the back healthy. So if I can hook into this topic, maybe someone can type in some helpful thoughts if they have had some experience with thudbusters or other suspension seatposts with a similar intention in mind.

And in case some one comes up with suggestion, I'm not going to be riding a recumbant. I'd be dead if I was on one when I got hit, despite my appreciation of their relative advantages.

Cheers and nice to be alive and riding a Thorn.

john28july

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2007, 04:15:57 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by sfbiker

Colin:  Thanks again for responding.  My Brooks Flyer Trekking arrived by mail.  Its hard alright.  I assume you HAVE to use the Brooks Proofide to break in the beast.
Peter

Do NOT use anything other than Proofhide and only use Proofhide in a limited quantity. Any substance such as Neetsfoot oil found in a Horse livery type shop will virtually kill the Brooks. I know from years of experience I can assure you.
Rub a fair ammount of Proofhide onto the underside of the saddle and a similar quantity on the top seating area whilst in a warm place. Use the bike and suffer the pain until behold a wonderful comfortable seat will surprise you one day when you get on for a ride.
Do NOT use anything other than Proofhide please..........
John.