Author Topic: Sprung seat or suspension seatpost???  (Read 20705 times)

pberrey

Sprung seat or suspension seatpost???
« on: September 15, 2004, 09:52:46 pm »
What are people's experiences with sprung saddles, like the Brooks Conquest, and suspension seatposts? Are they noisy? Heavy? Really good? Why aren't we *all* riding with some form of comfort device besides chamois?

Please bare in mind that I weight 100 kilos so there is little point buying anything with suspension/springs if I'm just going to squash them!

Thanks.

Paul.

luceberg

Re: Sprung seat or suspension seatpost???
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2004, 11:02:03 pm »
I have tried a Brooks Conquest but didn't like it. I much prefer the Champion Flyer which has a wider top, it's a B17 with springs. Mine has stretched a lot though, half an inch in two years, so I can't see it lasting forever.I weigh about the same as you.

My other suspension experiences are a USE SX post, which is good but not entirely lacking in Stiction(MTB speak), so good for ironing out bumps but not small vibratory movements. I also have a Moxey parallelogram post which absorbs both large and small movements, but takes some getting used to and is best for offroad.
Cane Creek do a touring version of this, with a smaller parallelogram which looks an interesting possibility.

pberrey

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2004, 10:33:25 am »
Which do you prefer (and why) between the saddles and seatposts?

I think a saddle would do the job for me as it would take the sudden impact out of an unseen pothole without changing the effective seat height whilst I'm riding.

Thanks.

Paul.

Pedaldog

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2004, 05:29:26 pm »
I use the Champion flyer a lot on the Nomad.
I did have a seatpost suspension jobbie that I paid about £110-00 for a few years ago, can't even remember the make/model. It was okay but the Brookes is better to me at 115kgs.

Stijn

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 06:37:46 pm »
I've been trying different option lately. I went from a B17, which was nice but gave me a numbness, to conquest which was better but still quite hard since I'm light. Now I've invested in a Cane Creek Thudbuster suspension post with a Team professional brooks saddle. I've not had any saddle soarness since.

sarissa

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2005, 08:24:41 pm »
Having just done 550km on an off-road tour with a  Thudbuster ST equipped Raven Enduro, I'm firmly in the suspension seatpost fan club.
I didn't notice any complication to pedalling efficiency - just the opposite as I was encouraged to sit and spin the Rohloff gears even more. Only maintenance required was a spot of lubrication half way through.

kwkirby01

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005, 10:51:52 am »
I have a Brooks B17 with a Thudbuster ST. I'm a heavy rider (98Kg [:I]) and even with the hardest elastomers, on the road I bounce up and down uncomfortably. Off road it's an ideal combination.

I'm looking to change from the Thudbuster, but would still like something to take the sting out of large potholes. Would a sprung brooks saddle be the answer; are the springs stiff enough?

Kevin
Kevin K. Glasgow

Colin

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 11:23:22 pm »
I have a Brooks Conquest sprung saddle on my Raven. It is marketed for MTB use and absorbs the impact of potholes, etc. well, but the springs are stiff enough to prevent bouncing due to irregular surfaces or pedalling efforts.

You could also consider the Champion flyer (recommended by Luceberg). I have a B17 (on a Brompton) which is longer and more comfortable on the road.

I think the Conquest has also stretched more than the B17 (bought in early 90s) or my Brooks Pro (early 80s). I adjusted the Conquest tension nut several flats to remove sagging after 9 months. The other saddles have never been adjusted.

Colin

kwkirby01

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2005, 01:28:11 pm »
Thanks Colin. If it's not too personal a question, how heavy are you? [:D]
Kevin K. Glasgow

sfbiker

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2005, 06:04:44 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Stijn

I've been trying different option lately. I went from a B17, which was nice but gave me a numbness, to conquest which was better but still quite hard since I'm light. Now I've invested in a Cane Creek Thudbuster suspension post with a Team professional brooks saddle. I've not had any saddle soarness since.

sfbiker

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2005, 06:12:11 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by sarissa

Having just done 550km on an off-road tour with a  Thudbuster ST equipped Raven Enduro, I'm firmly in the suspension seatpost fan club.
I didn't notice any complication to pedalling efficiency - just the opposite as I was encouraged to sit and spin the Rohloff gears even more. Only maintenance required was a spot of lubrication half way through.

sfbiker

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2005, 06:17:27 pm »
Has anyone tried a Brooks Flyer?  From what I read here riders have good reports of putting an unsprung saddle on a suspension post.  The bike I have on order is equipped with a Brooks Professional.  Is that too much the racing saddle for extended touring?

Any feedback would be welcome.

Colin

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2005, 10:14:48 pm »
To answer two questions:

1) kwkirby01: (Conquest sprung saddle)  I weigh 63 kg.

2) sfbiker: (Brooks Pro) I've toured for more than twenty years on a Brooks Pro; it's comfortable, but I think the B17 is better. I like the springs on the Conquest; it was comfortable during a 350 km camping tour to the Pyrenées two weeks ago, but I still wonder if the Flyer (a "sprung B17") would have been a better choice for extended road touring.

I usually wear tennis shorts (no chamois)!

sfbiker

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2005, 12:55:37 am »
Colin:  Thanks for your input.  Do the Brooks saddles take a long time to break in or can you tell prettty quickly if one is not going to work.

sfbiker

Colin

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2005, 10:26:35 pm »
sfbiker,

From my experience, they feel hard when you first sit on them, but remain more comfortable than most padded, plastic based saddles, even during the first long trip. Afterwords, like good shoes, they become more and more comfortable with regular  use.

Colin