Author Topic: 26" wheel tourer wanted...  (Read 3226 times)

ThousandYardStare

26" wheel tourer wanted...
« on: September 26, 2010, 12:45:53 pm »
...for a heavy-laden RTW ride. Leaning towards Rohloff (Raven, Nomad etc), but would also consider a Sherpa or similar. I'm 6'0", so if I understand Thorn's sizing at all correctly I'll be looking for something close to a size 560. Flat bars would be preferable.

Feel free to either leave a message here, or e-mail me at aroundtheworldin80years ((at)) yahoo.co.uk

Many thanks
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 02:26:38 pm by ThousandYardStare »

DrJim

Re: 26" wheel tourer wanted...
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 03:11:45 pm »
Good morning ThousandYardStare",

I have a Thorn Nomad MKII Rohloff frame that might fit you. Here are the specs,

* Thorn Nomad S&S frame and fork
    * matt military green
    * size 562L [eff TT = 620mm, standover = 795mm]
    * S&S coupler and EBB tool
     * FSA Orbit XL-II headset
        * Thorn EBB with square taper BB installed
       * Continental Travel Contact tires [26" x 1.75"]

I bought this from Vic in Victoria BC in may of this year, knowing it was a bit larger for me than SJS would have sold me. I did ask SJS about the size and they said they wouldn't have sold the frame to me but that I would probably be alright. I am 5'9.5" with a stand over of 81cm.  I have built it up completely and I love it, (pause, sigh) but it is just a little too large to work with I think. Because of the length of the TT I had to use a riser bar 5 " and back to fit correctly. This changed the ride characteristics enough that I haven't been quite so happy with it. Also, we cut the fork by about 2", leaving it at 27" long to accommodate the bars and for making it easier to pack. It sounds like the fork still might be high enough for you and still be what you want, I would ask Thorn about the sizing and see what they say. Even so, the forks aren't all that much to get a new one at full 29" length. I can work with you on the price with that one.  I would just deduct the price of a new fork.

So what I want to do is sell the above frame, fork BB etc and get one that will fit me exactly. If I am going to spend this much money on a bike, it better damn well fit me perfectly.

Not a big deal, I have had fun building it up, but I want to get it perfect.....I want to keep all the components, they are top of the line stuff as recommended by Thorn, I just want to get the frame that will be right. I figure I will lose a little money on trading and shipping but that is the price to pay to get it right.

Yours in Biking,

Dr Jim
James H. Oppenheim, DC, MPH

ThousandYardStare

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 04:37:59 pm »
Hey Dr Jim, thanks for the detailed reply. Shame about the fit- I can totally understand why you'd want things just right, especially for the money involved. I'm really looking for a complete bike, unless anyone can suggest where to source a bargain used Rohloff(?!). And importing a frame back east across the pond doesn't seem like the best financial proposition anyway. Thanks all the same. How much are you asking, out of interest? Good luck with the new build.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 04:40:12 pm by ThousandYardStare »

howay04

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 08:04:22 pm »
have a 565L nomad mk2