Author Topic: Slight "buzz" in gears 7 and 14?  (Read 2484 times)

keleher

Slight "buzz" in gears 7 and 14?
« on: May 14, 2011, 09:55:30 pm »
Had my nomad for about 8 months, 2000 miles, and now a slight buzz in both 7 and 14. This is not griding of 7, 6, and a bit in 5, this is on top of that, as if something isn't locked down.

Anyone else heard this?

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: Slight "buzz" in gears 7 and 14?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 10:11:13 pm »
I'm at five month and probably 500 miles. No funny noises at all from the hub. Still the usual whirrings in 1-7, but very quiet in 8-14. Nothing like a buzz or rattle.

Funny, someplace out in cyberspace I read some review that the Rohloff range was too wide. Where I live, I can spin out in 14 and just grind to a stop in 1. We have lots of hills here!

sloe

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 02:04:07 pm »
I was doing a lot of cycling in strong sun recently and noticed the gearbox had suddenly got noisier.

Turned out it was riding along with a following breeze, wearing a broad-brimmed hat, brought all the noise up around my ears. The moment the weather returned to normal I stopped hearing it!

So you've maybe just got something like that.

geocycle

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 03:34:03 pm »
Had my nomad for about 8 months, 2000 miles, and now a slight buzz in both 7 and 14. This is not griding of 7, 6, and a bit in 5, this is on top of that, as if something isn't locked down.

Anyone else heard this?

You are heading to an oil change so I'd bring it forward and make sure you give a good rinse with cleaning fluid.  Might just be a bit of crud somewhere.  Actually 7 and 14 is the same sprocket so that is probably the issue.

keleher

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 06:15:21 am »
You are heading to an oil change so I'd bring it forward and make sure you give a good rinse with cleaning fluid.  Might just be a bit of crud somewhere.  Actually 7 and 14 is the same sprocket so that is probably the issue.

My thought as well. Thanks,

pete