Author Topic: 7-speed hub gear conversion  (Read 14479 times)

jumbolugs

7-speed hub gear conversion
« on: September 09, 2004, 07:55:22 am »
I'd like to replace the freehub/derailleur on my old hack bike (it's an old road/touring frame) with a 7-speed hub gear, probably Shimano, and with flat bars.
I'm not sure what you need to do this - apart from getting a new rear wheel built around a 7-speed hub, will I also need any special braze-ons on the seatstays to handle the cable-routing etc? Also what type of shifter do you use for a 7-speed hub?

JonHammond

Re: 7-speed hub gear conversion
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 12:02:29 am »
I know it's a bit late, but if it helps:

I have a Shimano 7-speed hub (it came with the bike and it's brilliant).  Although braze-ons will give a neater result, there are no 'bits' actually required between the shifter and the cassette unit (which should come with the hub, and fits over the axle inside the dropout).  The cable (ordinary Shimano brake cable) runs completely enclosed from one to the other - all you'll really need is a few cable ties to keep the thing in place.

The Shimano Nexus range includes a couple of different shifters, integrated with brake levers or separate.  Look at the Shimano site for details - http://cycle.shimano-eu.com then do a product search for 'nexus'.  You might also want to look at the more recent Nexus 8-speed hubs.  I would.

Of course, all this assumes that the gap between your drop-outs leaves enough room for an internally geared hub: the Shimano site details the necessary measurements.  And also that the drop-outs themselves are not vertical (unless you're prepared to use some sort of chain-tensioning device).
« Last Edit: May 20, 2005, 01:34:50 pm by JonHammond »

window15

• http://www.car-rental-all-over-the-world.com/british-columbia-vancouver-car-rental.html
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 09:48:56 pm »
[V] Oh please I do not think so.   [V]

JonHammond

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 11:53:23 am »
Do not think what?  It's all amatter of choice sweetie.