Author Topic: Gearing range compared to derailler  (Read 9241 times)

Ratty

Re: Gearing range compared to derailler
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2006, 11:07:01 am »
Regarding wobbleyness of ravens.

When I first got my adventure tour I felt that it was squirrely compared to other bikes I have had including racers.  With time (one month) I realised that it is instead very responsive.  

It just took getting used to.  

Last summer I rode with 26 x 1.3 (35-559) Vredestein S-Licks from the online shop both on roads and dirt roads.  No problem at all with wobbleyness.  

I did find that the front tyre skidded easily but I think that this is a problem with the tyre and not the frame geometry.

Anthony

footloose

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2006, 12:57:21 pm »
i thought Thorn didn't recommend using a type less than 1.5" due to low bracket clearance... or is that just for the sportier models?

Ratty

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2006, 05:00:00 pm »
First I have heard.

They recomended these tyres to me so I suppose they must be fine for this bike but perhaps not for the Sport tour as you say.

Strange you would have thought that the sport tour would be where you most wanted a faster smaller tyre.

footloose

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2006, 07:03:47 pm »
Absolutely, my thoughts exactly...! Do the advantages of a lower bottom bracket outweight a smaller tyre?

paulhipwood

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2006, 06:00:59 am »
Hi
I have Marathon Sure Gaurd, 1.3 fitted to my Raven Sports Tour. I have no problem with them - what effect does this have on the bottom bracket?

regards Paul

footloose

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2006, 08:32:33 pm »
Thorn mention in their literature about the sports tourer that they would not recommend less than 1.5 tyre size because of the lower bottom bracket. I guess this is because the tyres are not so 'deep', thus the bike is sitting nearer to the ground. Perhaps this isn't such a problem ?! Who knows.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2006, 01:16:10 pm »
I've got a pair of 1.25 on my Raven (sport) first thing I noticed was there wasn't much clearance under the pedals.  Second thing I noticed was the searing was very ‘lively’ (for a touring bike) presumably because of the reduced steering trail.  When it is time to replace them I will be increasing the size to 1.5 (at least).