Author Topic: Gearing range compared to derailler  (Read 9240 times)

Frank Tompson

Gearing range compared to derailler
« on: September 03, 2004, 11:49:02 am »
Don't do numbers! I've read the comparison charts on the Thorn website and don't understand them.

I live in Bath and we have some big hills. My 'ideal' derailleur  gearing is 26-48 on the front, 11-34 on the back (with 700mm wheels).

What I could be grateful if someone can advise if one of the Rohloff's covers that range.

Many thanks,[:)]

Frank Tompson

luceberg

Re: Gearing range compared to derailler
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2004, 01:46:34 am »
The gear range you describe gives a range of 20.6 to 117 inches.
Expressed as a ratio this range covers 568%.
The rohloff hub has a range of 526% which is a little smaller.
A 46 front to 16 rear using the rohloff would give you 20.9 to 109.7 inches using a 26 inch wheel, which is a little less than your current set up in the high gear and about the same in the low.

footloose

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 11:36:52 pm »
I would be interested in hear more of riders' experiences with the rohloff gear range. Being an incremental increase of 13.6 %, the gap will be bigger as the gear gets bigger. I think it is misleading to think of the rohloff as having evenly spaced gears. The percentage increase may be even, but in fact the gaps between gears get larger. Unless I am wrong of course.... I am happy to stand (or sit) corrected!

Frank Tompson

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 10:38:34 am »
footloose,

In practice it just isn't a problem. Compared to a derailleur it's a breeze. And you can skip gears even while stationary.

footloose

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 11:58:31 am »
My main point is that when cycling with a fast group and trying to keep an optimal cadence, the gears are too wide apart to allow progressive steady changes to maintain a steady cadence. With a derailler the gears are close enough together to allow for fine adjustments.
With the lower end of the Rohloff gears, the gears will be very close together because the proportional increments are smaller, the higher gears (and most used) have big proportional increments in between gears.

Andrew

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 12:08:13 pm »
footloose,

Check out: http://www.sjscycles.com/thornwebsite/thornpdf/ThornLivingWithARohloff.pdf for full info on the even (an average of 13.26%) spacing.
Also see: http://www.rohloff.de/Gear_range_comparison.58.0.html?&L=1
and here: http://www.rohloff.de/Sprocket_ratios.57.0.html?&L=1

You're right though that the Rohloff will not replace the ultra-close ratios of a road racing cycle.

footloose

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 08:14:33 pm »
I have read on other threads in the forum that wide gaps between gears is an issue for some riders. This is probably the only factor that is stopping me buying a Rohloff!

Frank Tompson

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 08:55:57 pm »
footloose,

you're probably less than an hour from bridgewater. ring them up and ask for a test ride. (you'll need to leave a 'deposit' of some sort but they are very accommodating.) i think you'll change your mind when you've 'tried and ride '(rode?). the main issue i have is that ravens are very wobbly unless you have 1.75 tyres.

footloose

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 08:58:22 pm »
thanks Frank. 1.75" is a big tyre.... i am surprised that it would be wobbly with 1.5" or something similar.

PH

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2006, 11:50:32 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Tompson

the main issue i have is that ravens are very wobbly unless you have 1.75 tyres.

On my Raven I run 1.5" Hi Roads in the summer and 1.75 Tourguards in the winter, I haven't had any wobbles with either[;)]

PH

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2006, 12:25:43 am »
quote:
Originally posted by footloose

With a derailler the gears are close enough together to allow for fine adjustments.

That'll depend on what derailleur set up you're comparing it to, a MTB or touring gear set is likely to have increases between 11% and 17%. 7% to 12% on a typical road set.
I do find the gaps between 12-13 and 13-14 greater than ideal and the gaps at the other end closer than needed. It's no big deal, the advantages far outweigh it. I spend most of the time in gears 8-12, where the increases are fine. To put it in perspective, imagine a worst case. You spent half a ride at the maximum 7% away from a perfect gear. You always went for the easy option of same cadence, lower gear, rather than higher gear more effort. It would reduce an average speed of 17mph down to 16.5mph. That’s assuming the derailleur equivalent is all perfect gears! In reality I doubt it would ever be that much.

footloose

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2006, 08:46:05 pm »
Thanks for that info PH, some interesting maths there (not my forte). This is what I find interesting, the fact that the hub is advertised as having even steps in between gears but this is misleading. As you point out, the lower gears are closer together, and the higher gears wider apart. However in practice this isn't an issue. This is the sort of feedback I was hoping to get from this thread! Thanks again.

PH

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2006, 12:55:31 am »
quote:
Originally posted by footloose

the fact that the hub is advertised as having even steps in between gears but this is misleading. As you point out, the lower gears are closer together, and the higher gears wider apart. However in practice this isn't an issue. This is the sort of feedback I was hoping to get from this thread!

I don't think they're trying to mislead anyone. The charts with all the figures are presented by Rohloff and are quite prominent on Thorn literature.  When you consider the hub is the same 7 ratios used twice, there's no other way they could have done it.  Nice close ratios at the top would make those in the middle too close.
I'm sad enough to find such things interesting.  Enjoyed a good ride in yesterdays sunshine, didn't think about the gearing at all, it just works[;)]

graham

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2006, 08:14:13 pm »
quote:
the main issue i have is that ravens are very wobbly unless you have 1.75 tyres.

I've had over 38mph out of my Raven tour loaded with a 30lb bag of tools perched on top of the rack, on 1.5" panracer Hi-roads at 80psi, and didn't think it wobbled.
We've been over 42mph on the tandem on the same tyres and it felt like it was on rails. I expect the longer wheelbase helps.

I've also thought it might be nice if gears 10 to 12 were a bit closer, although I really don't have a problem with the gearing as it is. If these gears were closer 3 thru 5 would also be, but worse, the steps in 8 and 9, and 13 to 14 would be bigger unless the overall range were reduced.
Actually, there's a thought. I hardly ever want to go below 4th. perhaps a 'road' version of the hub with 14 gears each 10% apart would answer some people's concerns. If Mr. Rohloff made such a thing, I might buy one.

FordPrefect

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2006, 06:03:08 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Tompson

Don't do numbers! I've read the comparison charts on the Thorn website and don't understand them.

I live in Bath and we have some big hills. My 'ideal' derailleur  gearing is 26-48 on the front, 11-34 on the back (with 700mm wheels).

What I could be grateful if someone can advise if one of the Rohloff's covers that range.

Many thanks,[:)]

Frank Tompson

impossible to avoids number! ;)
To be simple, I'll only look at gear gain ratio.
If you will use same tires, cranklength, both numbers will be same.
I does not like weel inches, it cloggers too much!
weel inches are useful to compare different bikes, btw.

The gear internal ratio in the Rohloff hub are:
14: 1.467
13: 1.292
12: 1.135  
11: 1.000
10: 0.881
 9: 0.774
 8: 0.682
 7: 0.600
 6: 0.528
 5: 0.464
 4: 0.409
 3: 0.360
 2: 0.316
 1: 0.279

Then you must multiply with chain/cog size.
( e.g. 38:16. your chaintooth are 38 and the cog are 16tooth, getting a gain ratio at 2.375, the minium Rohloff are allowing)

your currently system is the minium gear ratio:
low  gear: 26:34 =  0.765
high gear: 48:11 =  4.364

with 38:16:
Rohloff low:  0.279 * 2.375 = 0.663  
Rohloff high: 1.467 * 2.375 = 3.484

What does that means?!

if you change your gearing system to Rohloff, running 38 tooth chainring front, with 16 tooth cog, it will means that you will be able to climb longer,slower and/or slower, but you will go slower downhills as you have lower gearing ratio at the 14th gear.

If you wants same low gear in Rohloff as your gearingsystem have now, use a bigger chainring:

0.279 * x = 0.765 -> x = 0.765 / 0.279 = 2.742.
(to get the same gear gain ratio, you'll need cog/chain ratio at 2.742)
(16cog * 2.742 = 43.87 => 44 tooth chainring)

then the first gear would be higher now (using 44/16 = 2.75)) compared to 38/16

0.279 * 2.75 = 0.767
1.467 * 2.75 = 4.034  (much better?!) :)

still, the rohloff system would have slower maximal speed than your derallier system.

gotcha?

a side note: I have experienced myself with cadence and gearing space.
the next cog who are 15% away compared to 6% away have less smooth
transaction especially for my legs, but it easy to compensanse: higher cadence or slower speed. I found it at my racebike, much smoother transaction at 6% spaces gearing, so it would be softer at my legs, especially at sprints, but if one increases the cadence, and lowering the speed a little, nothing is lost. I have not been less effective at ~16% spacing at my commuter compared to my racebike.
Still, when I am sprinting at my city bike, I never had any issues with it's bigger gearing spaceing.

The biggest loss I have is when I am climbing, and need to change to lighter gear, and it's slow gearing and space (more then 30%?) when I change from the middle chainring to the small, and need to shift to smaller cogs to get my gearing correct.

side-side note: Funny, I who was thinking that my 1.95 tires was to thin, so I want to buy 2.35 tires... :D