Author Topic: Long term maintenance  (Read 9293 times)

neil_p

Re: Long term maintenance
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2011, 01:40:56 pm »
the conti's i run are   sport contact with a guarantee of replacement within a year if they puncture - which they do, I am on about my 6th after original purchase maybe I'm just tight ;D

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-sportcontact-city-road-tyre-and-tube-set/

other bike shops are of course available, and I have no idea if everyone does the guarantee or just the big W

So do you mean, you bought one set, with warranty, and have had 5 or 6 replacement tires since then, all under warranty? In what timeframe has that been?

davefife

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 02:08:50 pm »
One set with warranty bought about 3 - 4 years ago

neil_p

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 03:20:45 pm »
So you've ended up with one paid for set of tyres in effect lasting 4 years.... but still with the hassle of replacing them several times. I'm not sure I'd want that hassle?

davefife

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2011, 02:52:36 pm »
but I dont mind ;D I like running quality, fast rubber on my RST these are best for what i do. safe cycling D

neil_p

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 03:09:21 pm »
So if I do make it to next year that will mean that I will have cycled approx 30,000 road miles on 2 chains, 1 sprocket and 1 chain ring.  Which is pretty good value for money!

I've just been advised by SJS, that if my chain has stretched by 1% (i.e. 12 full links now measures 12 1/8" or more), I should replace the chain and reverse sprocket and chanring.  My chain has indeed stretched that much after 5k miles... which means 2 chains, 1 sprocket and 1 chainring will last me 10k miles (a third of what you have achieved). Can that be right? It seems quite a difference.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2011, 09:30:07 pm »
I've just been advised by SJS, that if my chain has stretched by 1% (i.e. 12 full links now measures 12 1/8" or more), I should replace the chain and reverse sprocket and chain ring.  My chain has indeed stretched that much after 5k miles... which means 2 chains, 1 sprocket and 1 chainring will last me 10k miles (a third of what you have achieved). Can that be right? It seems quite a difference.

The thing is I don't agree that you need to change the chain until there is significant wear to the sprocket and / or the chain ring - or the chain snaps (which it wont).  What is achieved by swapping out the chain early?  You may  extend the life of the sprocket / chain ring BUT you will be paying more money out overall on new chains.

When I used to ride a dérailleur I used to be extra fussy about the extension on my chain but now I ride with a speedhub I take absolutely no notice of the chain extension,  I simply don't see any advantage to switching out the chain early.  I would rather just let all the parts of the ware together.  One concession I do make however is to only use high quality chains.

neil_p

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2011, 10:46:25 am »
The thing is I don't agree that you need to change the chain until there is significant wear to the sprocket and / or the chain ring - or the chain snaps (which it wont).  What is achieved by swapping out the chain early?  You may  extend the life of the sprocket / chain ring BUT you will be paying more money out overall on new chains.

When I used to ride a dérailleur I used to be extra fussy about the extension on my chain but now I ride with a speedhub I take absolutely no notice of the chain extension,  I simply don't see any advantage to switching out the chain early.  I would rather just let all the parts of the ware together.  One concession I do make however is to only use high quality chains.

I agree with everything you say.... but I'm baffled why SJS would want me to replace chain and reverse sprocket/chainring so soon... their suggestion will triple my transmission running costs from £90 (approx for new chain, sprocket and chainring) per 30k miles to £90 per 10k miles.  Still better than deraileur running costs, but even still...

julk

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2011, 06:51:46 pm »
I would let everything wear out for the first instance then you have a real baseline to measure costs and wear against.
It will also probably work out much cheaper.

If you saw the picture of Helen's (Take on Africa) worn rear cog then you have a target to aim for!

cake

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2011, 07:16:57 am »
Now that is one worn sprocket!  And something to aspire to.

Strangely, the chainring on my RT shows very little wear. the sprocket is worn but still has plenty of life in it.

I replaced the chain when i reversed the chainring and sprocket at 12000 miles.  The bike has now covered almost 18000 miles and the transmission will be run into the ground

I don't bother with expensive chains. I expect to have used two chains costing less than a fiver each, over 24-25000 miles.

tandemman

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2011, 07:45:09 am »
I have a surly stainless steel chainring and since the rohloff sprocket looks a lot like stainless to me, I use a stainless steel single speed chain, I reckon having all components made of similar hardness materials should result in more even wear, only done 5,000 miles so far, and no visible or measurable wear yet.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2011, 10:46:33 am »
Strangely, the chainring on my RT shows very little wear. the sprocket is worn but still has plenty of life in it
For me it is the other way round the chain-ring will fail first - the sprocket is looking well used but the chain-ring is knackered but serviceable.  
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 08:56:17 pm by stutho »