Author Topic: Panaracer Tourguard Tyres  (Read 10220 times)

stutho

• Administrator
Re: Panaracer Tourguard Tyres
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 09:12:41 am »
I have run my Pasela TG 1.25" at 100psi however I normally run them at 85psi

neil_p

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2011, 10:23:31 am »
I have run my Pasela TG 1.25" at 100psi however I normally run them at 85psi

Cheers. Still a damn sight harder than my 65psi!

Anyone know where to get the 26x1.25 folding version from? SJS only seem to sell the steel bead version.

brummie

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2011, 06:20:08 pm »
Looking at the Panaracer spec sheet for the Pasela TGs, I've noticed that the pressure for the 26x1.5 and 26x1.25 is very different:

26x1.5 40-65psi
26x1.25 65-100psi

That seems a huge difference.... is that right!?!?  I've been running the 26x1.5 at 65psi, but will definitely switch to the 26x1.25 if you can pump them up that much harder.

Narrower tyres run at higher pressures because THEY ARE narrower ( Less volume )- 65PSI in a 1.25" will feel softer than 65 PSI in the 1.5"

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2011, 08:28:31 am »
Anyone know where to get the 26x1.25 folding version from? SJS only seem to sell the steel bead version.

I have looked in the past several times for a folding version however I only have ever found the steel.

jeffthechef

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2011, 07:09:54 pm »
Was just about to start a new thread about Panaracers when I saw this and figured I should just post in this thread.

I have Thorn Raven Tour and run Panaracer Pasela 26" x 1.5 tyres. I run them at max pressure, 6 bar / 85psi (although another post say max is 65 bar?)

Since purchasing the bike I have done around 1,000 miles commuting (i.e. next to no weight) and 500 miles on tour (maybe 15kg luggage).

During the mammoth cleaning exercise the bike required after my one week tour I noticed that my rear tyre is virtually worn out (the front tyre is OK).

This wear rate seems ridiculously to me, do I just have super powerful legs that wear out tyres (no!) or could this be a sympton of another undiagnosed problem?

Cheers

rualexander

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2011, 09:13:51 pm »
...During the mammoth cleaning exercise the bike required after my one week tour I noticed that my rear tyre is virtually worn out (the front tyre is OK).

This wear rate seems ridiculously to me, do I just have super powerful legs that wear out tyres (no!) or could this be a sympton of another undiagnosed problem?

Cheers
Just swap them over front to back and you'll get the same again from them.

Relayer

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2011, 10:37:09 am »
Narrower tyres run at higher pressures because THEY ARE narrower ( Less volume )- 65PSI in a 1.25" will feel softer than 65 PSI in the 1.5"

I am about to fit Marathon Supremes 26 x 1.6 to my RST.  

Reason for this is, while I do like the Panaracer TGs 26 x 1.75 especially for comfort, my RST is not as quick as my other bike with 700 x 25.  I have been impressed by the performance achieved by others on these boards (particularly Neil_P and Paulson on skinnier tyres with comparisons to skinnier 700c tyres) so hopefully the increased max pressure 85 as opposed to 65, will make a difference.

I will feedback once I have tried out the Supremes.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 10:56:46 am by Relayer »

Relayer

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2011, 01:40:38 pm »
Was just about to start a new thread about Panaracers when I saw this and figured I should just post in this thread.

I have Thorn Raven Tour and run Panaracer Pasela 26" x 1.5 tyres. I run them at max pressure, 6 bar / 85psi (although another post say max is 65 bar?)

Since purchasing the bike I have done around 1,000 miles commuting (i.e. next to no weight) and 500 miles on tour (maybe 15kg luggage).

During the mammoth cleaning exercise the bike required after my one week tour I noticed that my rear tyre is virtually worn out (the front tyre is OK).

Cheers

Maybe the problem is around the max tyre pressure?

Fred A-M

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2011, 02:55:52 pm »
In my experience, touring does accelerate rear tyre-wear appreciably and have never done more than 2 500+ mile tours using the same set of tyres - I've usually swapped the rear and front tyres around after a tour to even the wear and to make them last for a 2nd tour (hence 3,000 miles in total on based on your info!).  It will depend on the tyres you have and the surface covered I guess, but I don't think pressure would have a major bearing.   

Relayer

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2011, 10:21:09 am »
I am about to fit Marathon Supremes 26 x 1.6 to my RST.  

Reason for this is, while I do like the Panaracer TGs 26 x 1.75 especially for comfort, my RST is not as quick as my other bike with 700 x 25.  I have been impressed by the performance achieved by others on these boards (particularly Neil_P and Paulson on skinnier tyres with comparisons to skinnier 700c tyres) so hopefully the increased max pressure 85 as opposed to 65, will make a difference.

I will feedback once I have tried out the Supremes.

My initial impression of Marathon Supremes is very favourable, they run smoother than TGs (less friction noise on the tarmac) and the gap with my 700 x 25 is closed by about half!  Not any great sacrifice in comfort, although I suspect there is slightly more vibration through the handlebars going over rough tarmac.  Overall I am very happy with the switch.

Now all I need to find is a mudguard that will convert a headwind to a tailwind!   ;)

brummie

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2011, 07:54:04 pm »
Anyone tried the Panaracer Ribmo in any of the 26" sizes?? I'm curious as to whether the "triangular" profile is beneficial or just nonsense.

neil_p

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2011, 06:14:44 am »
Anyone tried the Panaracer Ribmo in any of the 26" sizes?? I'm curious as to whether the "triangular" profile is beneficial or just nonsense.

They look great (in principle)... i.e. puncture proof slicks from the maker of (my personal favourite) the Pasela TG.  Haven't seen any reviews of the 26" (although the 700c size has 20 odd reviews on Wiggle, mostly very positive). I'm very tempted... my only worry is that if they're less puncture proof than my current tyres... I won't know until I'm cycling to work, which is the last place I want to get a puncture.

Hmmm.... decisions decisions... I have some new Pasela TG on order... but could switch to Ribmo.... eeeek!

Also, does anyone have a link to the Panaracer spec sheets which show tyre pressures?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 01:20:46 pm by neil_p »