Author Topic: For Sale: Brand New Schlumpf Speed Drive for EBB  (Read 6850 times)

ericj

For Sale: Brand New Schlumpf Speed Drive for EBB
« on: April 03, 2011, 10:19:47 pm »
I bought a Schlumf Speed Drive last year with the intention of fitting it to my Cannondale Alfine8. Unfortunately due to a lack of information at the time I have now found that it will only fit an  externally clamped EBB shell. So as I can't use it as intended it is now for sale. Brand New, never fitted to a bike, 170 m cranks, 32 tooth chainring + trouser guard. A fantastic piece of enginneering. Some original paperwork included. Note, this is the EBB model and it fits directly into an externally clamped EBB shell (verified by email from Florian Schlumpf). I have a much older mountain drive on one of my bikes and it is a fantastic piece of kit so I'm verry sorry not to be able to use this one.  More information and photos on request. Asking £300 + postage in UK, cheque or paypal. Located North Yorks, contact Eric 07724 121366.

For more information see http://www.schlumpf.ch/hp/sd/sd_engl.htm
or http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/mountain_drive.shtml

travellingman

Re: For Sale: Brand New Schlumpf Speed Drive for EBB
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 04:05:20 pm »
Hi Eric,
When you say 'externally clamped EBB shell'. Do you mean that this version replaces the EBB itself? If so, what size BB shell does it fit?

If not, would it fit a Bushnell EBB?

I can't say the Schlumpf website is that clear on this. I can see how you ended up buying the wrong one!

Cheers.

ericj

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 08:26:41 pm »
Well I am obviously not an expert on eccentric bottom brackets or I would have got the right one but as I understand it.....

This will only fit an eccentric bottom bracket which has external clamps on the bottom bracket shell for clamping the eccentric inner part (or a bb shell which is threaded with clamping bolts or screws which screw in to clamp directly onto the eccentric). If you have a Bushnell type EBB which is tightened internally by expanding wedges (like my Cannondale's) then this is not suitable as there is no way to stop the speed drive rotating within the bottom bracket shell. But some of the Thorn frames I've seen have suitable externally clamped bb shells. The speed drive replaces both the bottom bracket and the inner eccentric part and has a diameter of aprox 51 mm.

I can email photo's on request.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 08:43:14 pm by ericj »

travellingman

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 05:23:43 pm »
Hi Eric,
Thanks for your reply. All understood regarding the design..

I'd only be wasting your time regarding pictures at this stage as I'm still pondering which design of frame to buy. However nice the thought of owning such a fine piece of engineering may be, I must try to curtail my serial bike component buying tendencies at the moment!!

Feel free to contact me in a month or so 'though as hopefully I'll have made some progress by then..! I'm currently awaiting a company in Germany getting their act together in refunding my money for a frame unfit for purpose. They shall remain nameless at this stage.

By the way, won't Schlumpf accept your Speedrive as an exchange return? After re-reading their website there's mention of a Bushnell version on its way....

Cheers.

ericj

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 07:01:19 pm »
I was hoping for an exchange but it wasn't offered and it was my mistake. If this doesn't sell I will be looking for a new frame to use it with !

Apparently if you have a Bushnell type eccentric you can use a standard mountain drive or speed drive with it. The advantage of the eccentric specific version is that it removes the seperate eccentric part from the setup so it is simpler and should be more reliable and less troublesome to  maintain.

My older mountain drive is tremendous but the jump in gears is huge and the shift down is always needed at the start of a steep climb. So it can be difficult to maintain momentum and adjust the gears smoothly even with practice (1:5 hills where I live). I wanted a speed drive for it's less dramatic jump in gear range and also so that the gearshift occured on the flats and descents. Also it means a smaller front chain ring can be used and it's a neater setup in my view. The quality of engineering and finish on the new one seems better too.

volkerte

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 04:03:03 pm »
Hi Eric,
is the speed drive still available? if yes coud you mail me please? volkerteweleit@yahoo.co.uk
thanks

ericj

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 12:51:52 pm »
Now Sold