Author Topic: Rusty handlebar bolts on Thorne Sterling - bit surprised by this !  (Read 7228 times)

swayzak

Hi

I love my Sterling.

However I've noticed that the 2 bolts that lock the handlebars to the forks (visible when looking at bike from the front) are rusty.

Is there a reason why these bolts are not made from a non-rusting metal (e.g. stainless steel) ?

thanks

julk

Re: Rusty handlebar bolts on Thorne Sterling - bit surprised by this !
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 01:46:57 pm »
Stainless steel is one of the softer more ductile steels.

My stem bolts are not stainless either.

swayzak

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 04:48:57 pm »
Thanks

So one should expect them to rust ?

Is there a suitable alternative metal they could be made from that wouldn't ?

Sorry for being a bit dim but I was just surprised by this, especially if there is an alternative.

spooley

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 11:47:17 am »
The bolts on the front of the handlebar stem on my Raven Tour rusted quite quickly, but they still seem to be working, three years on.  It does slightly spoil the look of the thing but, on the upside, I muse that an expensive rusty bike may be less likely to be pinched than a shiny equivalent!

Simon.

mski

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 01:29:07 pm »
The stem bolts have rusted on every bike i have ever owned, so it's not just a Thorn thing. Did manage to buy some nice coloured anodised ones for my mountain bike though. The chrome/anodized plating seems to come off though when you insert a hex key. Never had any fail because of it though.

geocycle

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 09:08:35 am »
and they are an odd size -M7 if I recall.

julk

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 09:56:02 am »
M7 are as nearly as rare as hen's teeth, I know because I have a Nitto seatpost which uses them and I had to source a longer bolt for the saddle clamp.

I suspect the stem bolts will be M4 or M5.

expr

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 10:10:52 pm »
you could possibly look at getting the m7 screws in titanium.

julk

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 11:25:41 pm »
I got my longer M7 bolt in titanium here.
Toronto Cycles

swayzak

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 02:52:56 pm »
Thanks everyone

Kind of reassuring - but still puzzled why a bike (especially one that is built so well & prides itself on sturdiness) would not have rustproof stem bolts fitted ie. titanium

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 02:10:25 pm »
After touring the salty North Sea Cycle Route, the Raven Tour went very well. After a good cleanup, all that appears to have been affected by the salt air are:

- Handlebar bolts
- Headset bolts
- Chain ring bolts (http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=1980.msg47503#msg47503)
- Crank retaining bolts

I am looking to replace all the above with non-rusting bolts. Can anyone suggest the best solution for the above bolts? Any input on bolt sizes for the Raven Tour would be welcome too!

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 04:32:15 pm »
Hi Richard!

Cycling in the sometimes corrosive alkali playa of the Great Basin, I've run into this problem myself.

I've replaced most of my bolts with stainless-steel equivalents. To keep the same appearance as the originals, I have sometimes turned the heads into a domed shape.

A few years back, I purchased some rubber plugs to fill the sockets in 5mm and 6mm allen (socket-head) bolts. These keep out moisture and fine dust that can concretize once it gets wet. I got mine from source in central China that has since gone away, but many new bikes come with identical plugs in their threadless stem caps. Most bike shops (here, anyway) consider them a nuisance and promptly throw them away. Occasionally, they are free for the asking -- or suddenly become the most valuable of floor sweepings to command high prices when asked-for!

Back in my uni days when such pre-made plugs were unavailable, I made my own, using the socket as a mold and RTV (Room-Temperature Vulcanizing silicone) as the media. The procedure is easy: Use a cotton-tipped swab to coat the socket with a light grease or Vaseline to serve as a mold release, then quirt some RTV in, making sure you start at the bottom and have no trapped air bubbles. In 48 hours, use a double-ended wooden cocktail toothpick to extract the plug, then invert and reinsert it in the socket, lying on a thin skim of grease or Vaseline -- Done. Moisture is no longer trapped in the socket well (where the concave surface makes plating the thinnest), so rust cannot get established or progress. If you start with a fresh allen bolt, it can serve as a mold for all the socket-head bolts on your bike, and you can make whatever size you wish.

As a small side benefit, it makes the ready fitting of an allen key for unauthorized removal that little bit more difficult -- few thieves carry wooden cocktail toothpicks with them.

As for stainless chainring bolts...Problem Solvers (a division of American distributor QBP - Quality Bike Products) has them. One example: http://www.amazon.com/Problem-Solvers-Chainring-Bolts-Stainless/dp/B0025UH4BG I've purchased a number of these and found them helpful in stopping half the rust issue. Why only half? These are chainring bolts, not the pegs (sleeve nuts).

ActionTec make full Ti sets, available here: http://www.actiontec.us/ti&steel.htm Be sure to use a Ti-compatible grease on the threads to prevent galling.

I have sourced stainless-steel chainring bolt/peg sets from Stronglight in the past, but not all were stainless, so it pays to check and confirm before ordering.

SJS Cycles' full selection of chainset spares is here: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/chainsets-spares-dept257_pg1/#page=
...with stainless bolt/peg sets listed as well, including this example for single chainrings, likely to suit many Rohloff users: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/id-stainless-steel-chainring-bolts-m8-x-075-single-65-mm-nuts-pack-of-5-prod27216/

When it comes to chainring bolts, size does matter: They have to be matched in length to what you have, and they come in three basic flavors: Single, Double, and Triple (110/74 and 104/58 cranksets require Double bolts for the middle and outer rings; old-school concentric triples require Triple bolts to secure all three rings on one bolt/peg). Best to extract yours and measure the length of the threaded portion before ordering.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 06:09:59 pm by Danneaux »

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 06:32:23 pm »
Dave and Dan - thanks for the stainless and other bolt suggestions. I have put a reply to the specific chainring bolt rusting on that thread here ...

http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=1980.msg47529#msg47529

As for the handlebar, stem bolts and crankset retaining bolts, your suggestion Dave looks like the solution.

Thanks!

« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 06:35:02 pm by StuntPilot »