Author Topic: Thorn Tandem Sizing - compromise  (Read 19280 times)

combat_wombat

Thorn Tandem Sizing - compromise
« on: December 21, 2004, 12:14:31 pm »

Shirly alot of tandems are bought for husband/wife teams.

Stereotypically Husbands are a bit taller than their wife.
So why don't thorn make L/M or M/S size tandems?

I am 6'0" my wife is 5'5"
As there isn't a L/M; We'll have to compromise.
Do we go for a L/L, a M/M or a L/S?
Or could we fit any of these sizes?

graham

Re: Thorn Tandem Sizing - compromise
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2004, 08:32:16 pm »
I would suggest you talk directly to Thorn about this, but my guess is that they have already realised this and make the bikes so that a medium-medium would suit a medium man on the front and a medium woman on the back.

I'm 5'8", the wife 5'4". Our Thorn tandem is a Small-small, but could probably just about make a Medium-medium fit. We have succesfully ridden a large framed Dawes, although not for any distance (we hired it for a few hours at Rutland Water) and the seat pins were well down into the frame. I have no problems with having reasonable standover clearance on our frame, and I think it looks in proportion with the 26" wheels when there's no-one on it.

I would imagine that a medium-medium would suit you, but as I say, talk to Thorn. Obviously sizing isn't only based on height but also things like leg length. If all else fails, they say in the brochure that for a fee they'll do a special.

combat_wombat

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 02:29:56 pm »
With a M/M, I'd have a 10cm clearance standoverheight, this is surly way too much?
I may be a little over average height, at 6 foot, but not by much, my wife is average height.
I just can't believe thorn don't cater for husband/wife teams that may be slightly over average height.
I'd love to know what they think the average height is...?

graham

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 07:58:32 pm »
I'm not sure 10cm would be too much standover clearance, although I would bow to a more experienced judge of that. I probably have about that on our Thorn tandem, which is why I said we might be marginal M/M.

I am a child of the 1960's. When I was growing up, my eventual height at 5'8 would have been about normal (i.e. medium). But I ride a Small Thorn tandem. Many of the yoof of today seem to tower above me and at a guess 6' is about an average (medium) height for a young man of today.

The Thorn tandems seem to all have a sloping top tube so that the rear end is smaller than the front. They could be thought of as being in a similar vein to the increasingly popular sloping top tube solo's. One of the benefits of which is commonly touted in press reviews as giving increased standover clearance. It also allows for a good length of seatpin extension, which apparently helps with rider comfort. Obviously the captain's seatpin has to be exposed enough to take the stoker's handlebar clamp anyway.

Have you ridden other tandems which have different geometry?

combat_wombat

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2004, 03:31:56 pm »
Thorn themselves suggest a clearance of 25-50cm, I'm double the suggested ideal max on the M/M.
Tis a shame because I liked the Adventure, but they don't fit so there is no point following it up...other tandem makers cater for average size husband/wife teams as a  standard size.

Andrew

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2004, 04:16:44 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by combat_wombat

Thorn themselves suggest a clearance of 25-50cm, I'm double the suggested ideal max on the M/M.
Tis a shame because I liked the Adventure, but they don't fit so there is no point following it up...other tandem makers cater for average size husband/wife teams as a  standard size.

Hi combat_wombat,

For full sizing advice it would be best to call our designer and test pilot AndyB 01278 441500 or Mark in our special projects department on 01278 441521,

Andrew

graham

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2004, 10:40:05 am »
The January 2005 Cycling + carries a Thorn advert, much of which takes the form of an 'interview' with Andy B. Standard production Rohloff tandems are mentioned, coming next spring and apparently available in 11 sizes. Maybe one of them will fit. You'll also get (in my opinion) a more sensible tandem with the Rohloff Hub.
We have a Thorn Rohloff tandem (a special), and if we ever manage to wear it out, which seems doubtful, I wouldn't buy another with derailleurs. Actually, as soon as I can afford it, my derailleur equipped solo is going to be replaced by a Thorn Raven (haven't yet decided which).