Author Topic: BB removal: EBB within the frame or out?  (Read 2218 times)

justin

BB removal: EBB within the frame or out?
« on: January 18, 2011, 02:18:45 pm »
It's BB replacement time. My Shimano XT BB has had it after 15000 Km.

If past experience on standard (not EBB) framed bikes can be trusted, I may need a lot of torque to get this out. Should I try to do so with the EBB insert still within the frame? - I'd be concerned about grating the EBB round on the pointy pinch-bolts rather than unthreading the BB itself.

Taking the EBB out of the frame means I can't hold on to it. (There are those two holes of course..)

How to go about it?

stutho

• Administrator
Re: BB removal: EBB within the frame or out?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 06:09:40 pm »
justin,

I know exactly where you are coming from!  The fist time I had to remove the BB I deliberated for a good few minutes as to whether it was better to put the EBB in a vice or to simply leave the EBB in in the frame.

Between the two thorns I own, I have now removed a bottom bracket from an EBB 3 times. I don't know if there is a proper method but, each time I have done it with the EBB in the frame.  (Make sure that the EBB bolts are secure!)

Best of luck  

Stutho
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 06:12:06 pm by stutho »

justin

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 09:31:27 am »
Thanks Stutho.

I'll go at it carefully then first in the frame. My EBB is quite well used - so perhaps move it to a new location well away from the normal array of indents before proceeding.

Rgds

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 01:52:10 pm »
Sounds like an excellent idea - I might do this myself next time!