Author Topic: Sram / Shimano compatibility  (Read 6836 times)

doug

• The Cycle Hub
Sram / Shimano compatibility
« on: February 15, 2011, 08:30:01 pm »
Just a quick question.....

When I had my first puncture and the back wheel was off on my Audax Mk3, I noticed the lock ring holding the cassette on was made by Sram.  I am now intrigued as I have Shimano gears. 

Can I assume Sram and Shimano are interchangeable? If it helps, it's a 9 speed cassette and it works really smoothly.  I have a sneaky feeling, though, I'm asking a bit of an obvious question, so please bear with me while I catch up!

BTW I seem to pick up quite a lot of punctures through the Panaracer Tour Guard tyres; often small bits of flint-like grit poking through like a bit of glass, grrrrrrr.
http://thecyclehub.net - The life long joy of cycling

PH

Re: Sram / Shimano compatibility
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 09:03:13 pm »
Cassettes and chains are interchangeable. I prefer SRAM, better finish on the mid price items and a bit cheaper.
When it comes to other drivetrain items it gets a little more complicated, SRAM make two ranges with different cable pull, if you're ever looking for mechs and shifters those which are Shimano compatible will say so.

doug

• The Cycle Hub
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 11:39:58 pm »
Ah thanks, PH.  That makes sense.
http://thecyclehub.net - The life long joy of cycling

peter jenkins

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 05:53:48 am »
Hi Doug,

Re your tyre problem, I have no experience with Panaracers but I can say that I have found via the University of Hard Knocks that Continental Gatorskins roll well, wear well and offer reasonable puncture protection.

Disclaimer: the above statement is made in the context of Australian conditions. (But I've used them in the UK as well without any disasters)

Cheers,

pj

Relayer

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 08:58:59 am »
Cassettes and chains are interchangeable. I prefer SRAM, better finish on the mid price items and a bit cheaper.
When it comes to other drivetrain items it gets a little more complicated, SRAM make two ranges with different cable pull, if you're ever looking for mechs and shifters those which are Shimano compatible will say so.

I am wondering if a SRAM x-7 9-speed setup would be compatible with bar end shifters?

Reason being I have a mountain bike which is little used (once had plans to do off road riding with the wife but never really happened) and am pondering the viability of transferring parts to a Sherpa frame, but modifying slightly to my drop bar preference (tektro brake levers to keep the v-brakes).  Any advice/comments gratefully received.

mickeg

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 01:12:42 pm »
I can't comment on that specific Sram derailleur, but I have Sram 8 speed cassette on a Shimano hub, using Shimano rear deralleur and Shimano bar end shifters.  (Those components and the front Shimano hub are the only Shimano parts on the Thorn Sherpa that I built up.)  I am quite happy with my gearing and equipment selection.

Relayer

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 09:52:48 am »
I am wondering if a SRAM x-7 9-speed setup would be compatible with bar end shifters?

OK, one angle to the answer to my question is no ... 

"The brand of shifter has to match the rear derailleur. With SRAM shifters pulling twice as much cable per click than Shimano, you can’t use Shimano shifters with SRAM derailleurs and vice versa. Front mechs are fully interchangeable though, except for a little rubbing with the narrower cages of the higher speed stuff on the lower equipment. Similarly almost all chains, regardless of designated speed, seem to work perfectly well on eight or nine-speed cassettes and chainsets despite slightly different dimensions."    Note: this applies to 7, 8 or 9 speed systems, there is even less compatibility with 10 speed.  Full article here 

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/get-into-gear-31303?CPN=RSS&SOURCE=BRGENHOME

But there is always a however, and in this case there is a Dia Compe bar end shifter available which is compatible with all systems, this is achieved by friction control i.e. no index positions. 

I need to ponder this option further, initial thoughts are that friction control would be ideal when touring off the beaten track, but I have no plans to do an Andy Blance type of tour in the near future, also I haven't used friction shifters since a 5-speed Dawes I had as a teenager, and that wasn't yesterday!