Author Topic: Kickstands again  (Read 9705 times)

revelo

Re: Kickstands again
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2012, 05:27:18 am »
Even if you can get the click-stand to stay up in soft ground by putting a rock under it, the bike can still blow over from a sudden gust of wind. That is what happened to me, several times, which is why I gave up on the click-stand. Same reason why I wouldn't use kick-stands either, even if frame damage wasn't an issue. The damage from carefully laying the bike down is trivial compared to what can happen if it falls down.

[Edit:] I may still bring the click-stand along on tours, in order to support the bike while cleaning or doing maintenance in the middle of a motel parking lot so that I couldn't lean it against anything. After all, I bought the click-stand and it only weighs 100g. But I wouldn't trust the click-stand or a kick-stand to support the bike unless I was standing right there to catch the bike if it started to fall due to wind.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 07:02:49 am by revelo »

il padrone

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2012, 10:07:05 am »
Been using a Greenfields  stay-mounted kickstand for about 7 years and now the ESGE Pletscher Multi-zoom for the past year. I have had no concerns with the bike falling (so long as I am observant about the ground I place it on). I would ONLY advocate rear-mounted stands.

I have seen far more damage to bikes (including loaded and unloaded tourers) from the 'slip-and-slide' when they invariably get leaned on a post somewhere and roll around - *Ouch* for the top tube paintwork  :(

When I've seen my bike standing upright, in all sorts of locales, and left overnight at campsites, I have a great deal of confidence in the stand's security.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 12:58:48 pm by il padrone »

Relayer

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2012, 10:16:53 am »

I have seen far more damage to bikes (including loaded and unloaded tourers) from the 'slip-and-slide' when they invariably get leaned on a post somewhere and roll around - *Ouch* for the top tube paintwork  :(

Been there, done that, some years ago ... very careful leaning against posts ever since

revelo

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2012, 02:30:11 am »
Been there, done that, some years ago ... very careful leaning against posts ever since

You need to use a brake band if this is happening. The click-stand comes with brake-bands. Or make your own from 3/16" shock-cord from a fabric store, as shown below. If you have a bar mounted mirror, then the brake band should stay in place on that side of the handlebar when not in use. Otherwise, it might have a tendency to fall off, depending on what type grips/bar-ends you use. And there are other ways to activate the brakes than brake bands.

If you're camped in forest, then wind is normally not a problem. But gusts of 50mph can easily whip up during the night on open plains like in the picture above, and knock over a bike held up by a kickstand. Better hope the bike doesn't fall on the derailleur side, or better be prepared to repair/replace your derailleur hanger if it does.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 02:38:19 am by revelo »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2012, 03:05:40 am »
Pete,

'Just an aside amidst the kickstand discussion...

I surely have enjoyed your tour photos, and return again and again to see them.  What a great job!

Best,

Dan.

il padrone

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2012, 07:47:14 am »
But gusts of 50mph can easily whip up during the night on open plains like in the picture above, and knock over a bike held up by a kickstand. Better hope the bike doesn't fall on the derailleur side, or better be prepared to repair/replace your derailleur hanger if it does.

Never been an issue of any significance for me, in the past 7-8 years of using the kickstand  ???

il padrone

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2012, 07:48:16 am »
I surely have enjoyed your tour photos, and return again and again to see them.  What a great job!
Thanks for the compliment, Dan

Cheers
Pete

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2012, 09:00:30 am »
Quote from: revelo on January 28, 2012, 06:30:11 PM
But gusts of 50mph can easily whip up during the night on open plains like in the picture above, and knock over a bike held up by a kickstand. Better hope the bike doesn't fall on the derailleur side, or better be prepared to repair/replace your derailleur hanger if it does.

Quote from: il padrone on January 28, 2012, 06:30:11 PM
Never been an issue of any significance for me, in the past 7-8 years of using the kickstand

Nor for me, in my much briefer use of a Click-stand.  I usually put more lean on the stand than Tom Nostrant recommends, placing it so the pedal on that side just clears or nearly clears the Click-stand when the crank is rotated, and I turn the front wheel in the direction of the stand, which seems to aid stability for me.

I was initially cautious and concerned about blow-over or toppling from other means, but I have found that just adding additional lean allowed the bike to remain stable when parked fully loaded in wind gusts of that speed a week or two ago. I parked with the stand on the leeward (left) side of the bike so a broken Click-stand or blow-over wouldn't endanger the derailleur hanger. I respect and can relate to your concerns, Frank, and don't deny or invalidate your experience.  Just wondering...did you try the Click-stand with some considerable additional lean in windy conditions?  Might it have been a bit too vertical for the conditions? Perhaps the wind was just too strong and gusty and the soil too soft, making the Click-stand impractical for the conditions.  I can see the panniers acting as a bit of a sail in high winds or conversely, the unladen bike might be light enough to topple if too upright.  Can you tell us a little more about what things were like when your bike fell?  It might help others avoid the problem.

'Just hoping you can have a good Click-stand experience like mine, though I understand your concerns and would definitely choose to lay my bike down in the 70mph ice-pellet winds I experienced camping in my last desert tour.  Everyone is different and the same product may not give the same results, depending.

With regard to brake bands, yours are a good heavy-duty solution. I have had good luck so far with the originals provided I carefully placed the bungee in the pull and then squashed them fully shut so the interlocking edges of the pull were fully engaged. It is possible to catch a bit of bungee in between and it can be hard to see.  Anyway, yours have solved the problem, so good.  I used to use a small piece of tethered, machined aluminum as a block to wedge the brake lever open.  Later, it was replaced with a plastic Blackburn Stop-Block that unfortunately won't engage my Tektro RL520 levers.  On my rando bike, I have a quick-release on the cantilever brake straddle cable that works normally and one on the headset cable stop that works in reverse, to operate as a parking brake.  It baffles anyone who tries to wheel the bike away, as everything appears normal except the front wheel is locked.  On the tandem, I lock the Arai drum brake using a bar-con lever and that does a dandy job of keeping the bike in place.

Best wishes,

Dan.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 09:03:27 am by Danneaux »

il padrone

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2012, 09:26:39 am »
For a parking brake strap, I've been using one of these on the brakes. The toe-strap is an original from my old 1980 Cecil  Walker road bike (still in action as my Audax bike):

On our tours we often use the metropolitan trains, where such a strap keeps the bike stable; and also travel on country trains, loading bikes in the luggage vans. Their springing is very rough so a parking band together with an ockie strap (bungee) to secure the loaded bikes to the wall is essential.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 11:13:39 am by il padrone »