Author Topic: strong touring rack(s)  (Read 6996 times)

lemongrass

strong touring rack(s)
« on: February 08, 2011, 04:08:28 pm »
I'm looking for a front (low or high rider) rack, actually I'd like one of each for myself and my girlfriend, and one rear rack. I'm not altogether set on steel, mostly for price reasons, so good quality aluminium ones would do as well.

Thanks

ThousandYardStare

Re: strong touring rack(s)
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 05:11:55 pm »
Racks really are one of the few things I've learnt from experience not to scrimp on- Particularly the rear one- unless you're carrying fairly light loads. Thorn's Expedition should last a lifetime and is really well priced compared to the competition (Tubus Cargo/Logo, Surly Nice Rack, etc)- Although it might be overkill for some purposes.

Where are you planning to tour? On good roads, with lightish loads, you might get away with a twenty-odd quid alu effort. Have a good look at the welding before you buy though, if at all possible... some look so fragile they'd struggle to get you to the shops and back. I had a Bor Yueh set five or so years ago which were very cheap but surprisingly well made. They survived a couple of tours intact on good roads, but I wouldn't exactly trust them for the Congo or somewhere.

Blackburn make cheaper alu ones and used to be widely popular, but apparently the quality's gone down in recent years. I managed to kill one on a short Morrocan tour a couple of years ago, and the roads weren't even that bad.

lemongrass

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 09:30:35 pm »
Thanks for the reply. It's for serious long distance cycling on the silk route, so the roads wouldn't be smooth by any means. If I could get a high quality aluminium rack for 50 or so I'd be happy, but the jump seems to be a 20 quid sorry affair to a 100+ steel job. Where are Bor Yeuh racks available? I went on their website and couldn't find dealers outside China or the U.S.

b1ke

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 09:31:30 pm »
SJS have currently got some of the Thorn Expedition rear racks on ebay for £39.99 delivered. They've got some blemishes, although I bought one and it still looks great. Only 3 left now and not much pricier than an aluminium one.

b1ke

rualexander

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 10:33:50 pm »
I would avoid Bor Yueh for an expedition type tour. I had one fall apart in Iceland, but it was twenty years ago, been using Blackburn Expedition rack since then and it is still fine, although I have read reports of their more recently made racks not being as good.

ThousandYardStare

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 11:28:46 pm »
Yep, avoid Bor Yueh for the Silk Road. Those Thorn Expeditions are exactly what you want- toughest rack around. I'd grab one quick if I were you- Likely the best bike related buy you'll ever make!

Just to be clear to anyone stumbling in here, I don't actually recommend Bor Yueh- they're just a cheapie brand that aren't too awful, if you really can't afford anything better.

Out on the Silk Road it's fairly vital to get something steel- you'll be thousands of kms from the nearest bike shop at times, and it'd be something of a miracle if you found someone to weld aluminium out there.

lemongrass

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 12:11:19 am »
Fiddlesticks (I would prefer to use something stronger but propriety restrains me) I was just about to buy that ebay expedition rack and it says no shipping to outside the U.K. which is precisely where I find myself, in Dublin to be exact. Back to square one, got my hopes up there. Thanks for the heads up anyway guys.

lemongrass

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 12:17:25 am »
That's very frustrating in fact, I didn't realise the ebay shop didn't post outside the U.K., just assumed they did as the normal sjs website does.

I accept the point on weldability, I was planning to use jubilee clips or something similar as people seem to recommend them and I've never had a rack break in years of using them, and I used them plenty of alloy ones with plenty of load. I just think sometimes there's a tendency to over insure oneself for these things.

ThousandYardStare

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 02:00:09 am »
You could try giving SJS a ring and see if they'll send one to you in Ireland (with a bit of extra postage money). They might well oblige. Otherwise get it sent to a kindly aunt or someone in the UK, and get them to forward it. Failing all that, I don't mind forwarding one to you. Too good an offer to miss!

I know what you mean about over-insurance. To my mind it's about weighing up the probabilities of something going wrong, and the consequences if it does. And I'm convinced that with racks it's false economy to buy low to mid-range for this type of expedition. Cheap racks aren't made for carrying tons of stuff for multiple thousands of kilometres. In my opinion there's a strong chance you'd break a low quality £20-£30 effort even on the 'least demanding' silk road route (Iran/Turkmenistan/Eastern Uzbekistan/main sealed road around Kyrgystan). Throw in a few detours (stunning central Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, etc...) and I'd give you 10-1 on that a budget rack would break. Last time I checked, there were just a couple of reasonable bike shops in Iran, and none at all in Uzbekistan or Kyrgyzstan (save for a couple of market stalls selling bells that don't ring and puncture kits that don't stick). That was three years ago...I doubt things have changed much. I actually crossed Uzbekistan rather than Iran, and didn't pass a single bike shop between Ankara (Turkey) and Kashgar (China)(!). Basically unless you were in Iran you'd almost certainly have to get one sent out, which would be very expensive and eat into your precious visa time.

But then of course fortune favours the brave and all that. I hadn't seen those jubilee clips- maybe they'd hold for a while. Very much a temporary fix though, I'm sure. Probably better than the stack of zip ties I used to bodge together my Blackburn mind you (which lasted all of 10 miles).

Er, any joy with the front racks yet? I don't know what to suggest really, other than checking Ebay for a 2nd hand Tubus. Used Thorn fronts never seem to come up. Worth checking ebay.de for Tubus- they're popular over there and you might get a better price.

ThousandYardStare

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 02:14:00 am »

travelling

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 08:06:36 am »
I have to agree with what's been said already, unless a second hand buy or a fluke shop sale then cheap and strong rarely come in the same sentence.

Wven outsode of this thorn forum, most will agree that vfm the rear thorn steel expedition rack is one of the strongest and if bought cheaply like the ebay one should you re sell you will almost likely get your money back. I believe thorn claim it can carry upto 40kg with 5mm bolts and upto 60 kg with 6mm bolts I've never had to test that yet but the build is strong. Some prefer tubus or a surly also  good makes

Then the front, I've tried Thorns low riders and have to say again the strength is there, but I've also tried surly's nice frame which gives you a top plate for storage and a rack system to have your bags high or low this is a great rack but is quite heavy. If your after a high position for your bags and a top plate then old man mountain are worth a look

I would suggest given the route you mention then the racks,  next to the wheels are two pieces of kit that if anything need to be over engineered and quality won't/shouldn't let you down

lemongrass

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 09:12:13 am »
Guess I'm persuaded then, ebay.de has a host of tubus, bikeradar.de has decent prices on them as well, so failing everything else I can get one there. Preferably I'd get the thorn one from ebay though, I'm going to ring in a few minutes and see if they'll make an exception and post to Ireland. Otherwise I've already got a few things sent through people in the U.K. so I don't really want to do it again, Thousandyardstare, if you would do it that would be very much appreciated but if it doesn't suit no worries.

lemongrass

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 09:32:12 am »
No luck with sjs, just confirmed they don't post abroad from the ebay shop except with a very few items.

ThousandYardStare

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 12:36:04 pm »
Hi Lemongrass, I'm surprised at that... can't they just let you pay for it over the phone with a credit card, and work out the postage?

You're welcome to get it sent to me if you like. Parcelforce would charge £12-£14 to send it on to Dublin (depending on if it's less than a kilo or not...it'll be tight). That seems a lot... perhaps you can find a cheaper way. It'll still be a very good deal. There isn't a stronger rack out there.

And I agree with Traveling- You could ebay it at the end of your trip and comfortably get your money back.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 01:14:37 pm by ThousandYardStare »