Author Topic: Thorn Sherpa with Rohloff  (Read 51442 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Thorn Sherpa with Rohloff
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2013, 07:23:56 pm »
Rual,

I still marvel at the fine job you did on converting the Sherpa; a really well-engineered effort; you can be very proud.

On seeing the Bachelor chain tensioner, a question: I see you chose to use the roller to tension from above, rather than from below. Coming from below might have given more chain wrap, but would leave the roller more exposed. Can you tell me a bit more about why you chose to set it up from above? I've seen people go either way, each with its own dis/advantages, and am just curious. It looks nice and solid, very well thought-out like the rest of your setup.

Wonderful photos and trip report; a really nice presentation, as always. Especially loved the evening shots and the superb ones of the moon. Thanks for sharing!

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 10:25:32 pm by Danneaux »

rualexander

« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2013, 08:30:19 pm »
Thanks Dan,

I put the Gusset Batchelor on in 'push down' mode rather than 'push up' mode because that seemed to obtain the best tension, although to be honest I did the job in a bit of a rush to get ready for today's ride, so will maybe look at 'push up' mode again sometime.
I did read somewhere in a review that 'push up' mode was hard to get reasonable tension before coming into contact with the chainstay, but looking at mine I don't think there would be enough adjustment to swing it that far around. I guess it depends on the particular frame, dropouts, and the derailleur hanger.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2013, 10:02:11 pm »
I guess it depends on the particular frame, dropouts, and the derailleur hanger.
Thanks, Rual! I figured it must come down to something like that. Many things that are aimed at a "universal" fit seem to require individual fitting.

Nice, nice job that looks simply grand.

Best,

Dan.

nigelsbicyclejourneys.com

• Born To Cycle
    • nigelsbicyclejourneys.com
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2013, 10:40:09 am »
Hi,

Interesting. Nice to see a Sherpa with a Rohloff.

I'm probably going to be to going down the line of a Sherpa frame over a Raven. A Rohloff would be nice but the cost is just too far. So good to see I can convert in time if I change my mind or cost reduces?

I did notice your Trangia bottle on the frame. You might be interested in this option. http://www.flickr.com/photos/reallyusefulbicyclejourneys/7448840976/

As my frame doesn't have bottom lugs I've used another make of straps, which work fine. But this would fit straight onto the Sherpa frame. http://www.bikebuddy.co.uk/

Nigel

jags

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2013, 11:33:42 am »
welcome nigel i just had a sneak look at your photos on flickerfantastic.
wow you have a great set up and you sure like cooking on the trangia.
nice bike as well  ;)
so obviously you tour a lot how long are your tours and are you self supported for the whole tour. ;)

• Born To Cycle
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2013, 11:57:45 am »
Hi jags,

Thank you for the welcome. Yes, my first posting on the forum.

I'v only being touring for the last few years. Started round Bodmin Moor, then after another bike rebuild part II http://nigelsbicyclejourneys.com/the-bike/rebuild-part-ii/ I then took on Dartmoor Moor. Recently returning from New Zealand and Tasmania.

Yes, all self supported and will wild camp as much as is feasible!! NZ and Tas being the longest at 6 months but will next keep it down to 4 to 5 months as I did start to feel I needed to be OFF the bike for a bit.

Hope to be off either round the UK next year or Europe. Fancy seeing how much wild camping I can get in in the UK?

Next though building up the Sherpa when I get it and working on improving some of my kit. All fun   :)

Nigel

http://nigelsbicyclejourneys.com/

jags

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2013, 12:44:15 pm »
Cheers Nigel yeah great bike the sherpa i love mine took me a while to get used to it coming from lightweight road bikes i thought i bough a tank it's certainly built like one , but yeah a super touring bike even without rohloff ;) meant to ask you is all your touring SOLO,i know it's the way to go but i need company on a tour but there lies the major problem finding he right company ;)

to be honest after my last too disasterious tours i'm in a mind to sell the lot i dont think this touring lark is for me.i  like nothing better than day rides on my sherpa or lovely raleigh even thinking of taking up audax rides next year but thats in the hands of the gods at the moment. ;D ;Dorry nigal i'm rambling again i'll pop over and take a look at your link thanks a million for sharing.

cheers
jags.

jags

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2013, 12:52:25 pm »
just had a look wow beauti build well done why would you want a sherpa riding that beauti.
surprized about the xt hubs though it's what i have never had a problem with them.

• Born To Cycle
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2013, 01:16:37 pm »
Yes, the new XT hubs are notorious for failing on loaded touring bikes. It's the size of bearings and an aluminium axle. Not so with the LX. Steel is Real!

Would only tour solo. Being able to do what, when and how as I like, is the only way! Interested how you could have a disastrous tour?

The frame was my old Orange P7. It handle very well but had a few failings. One being a bit too much flex in the headset and an eyelet for the rack (not the Tubus rack) failing. Eventually briefly fixing with zip-ties. http://www.flickr.com/photos/reallyusefulbicyclejourneys/8383822335/ then in time finding a welding machine to stick it back on  http://www.flickr.com/photos/reallyusefulbicyclejourneys/8441608997/

This post shows my craftsmanship!, and I also met a guy on a Thorn Nomad while I was working at a backpackers in NZ.

Nigel

jags

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2013, 01:27:24 pm »
sure hope my XT hubs hold up can't afford new wheel build.
if you check out my ride report on  WWW.FELLCLUB.ORG.UK france trip i cant say much on my ireland tour i would end up in court for libal  ;D ;D
btw i'm from ireland and living here .

that stabliser you have does it really work i seen them before, have you a link where to buy..

jags.
btw there loads of photos of my sherpa here on the forum dan will  sus them out for you if you like.

mickeg

« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2013, 01:48:55 pm »
Regarding the newer XT hubs, it is my understanding that only the rear hubs (M770 and later) have seen problems, not the front.  Part of the problem apparently is smaller bearings and part is a change in the pawl design in the freehub. 

jags

« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2013, 02:02:13 pm »
no problems with mine so far m770 still as smooth as butter.
ok off out on me raleigh for a couple hours. ;D

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2013, 05:09:05 pm »
Hi Nigel; welcome to the thorn Cycling Forum!

Nice to have you aboard. I first caught your blog last year. Wonderful adventures you've had.

I think you'll be pleased if you go the Sherpa (Mk3) route -- or the (new) Raven for that matter, as both frames are now the same except for drivetrain. They're a nice all-'round design that will see you well whether exploring for the day or 'round the world. For truly heavy loads, the Nomad Mk3 is the Thorn of choice, but not quite as lively unladen. Hard to think of a more versatile frame on the market than the Sherpa/Raven twins. It's unlikely you'll have a braze-on problem and that third bottle cage mount will come in handy. Best of all, the frame is built for a 1-1/8 headset and will likely feel stiffer up front.

Yes, Rual has done a wonderful job of his Rohloff conversion and I surely admire how professionally it is executed. Always nice to have options.

Best,

Dan. (...who's pondering a thread-split down the road)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 05:26:23 pm by Danneaux »

jags

« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2013, 05:24:40 pm »
from Nigel's photos Arrowtown i think i just died and gone to heaven what a beautifull place.

• Born To Cycle
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2013, 01:34:57 pm »
Yes I believe the bearings been the problem. Front hub fine but then does not take as much weight as the rear.

Thank you Dannaeux for the welcome. Is it really so easy to add a Rohloff to a Sherpa? Must read more into chain tension/slack?

The luggage weight of the Sherpa is plenty for my touring. And now working on kit to get weight down even more. Generally with everything on bike, bike, food, water, fuel, kit had been looking at 57 kg's total.

Arrowtown very pleasant. But had signs everywhere saying 'no freedom camping'. Humbug.... so I cycled out of town along the river and found a spot. Along with sandflies!

Nigel