Author Topic: Thorn Sherpa with Rohloff  (Read 51704 times)

freddered

Re: Thorn Sherpa with Rohloff
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 02:37:31 pm »
Just back on Sunday from a week on Mull with my Rohloff equipped Sherpa.
Very happy with the Rohloff so far, probably due my first oil change now.
Since the initial photos at the start of this thread, I've changed the bars and stem to FSA Vero compact drops and a Ritchey adjustable stem and I'm happier with my riding position and will probably stay with the Sherpa rather than changing to a Raven Tour frame, at least for this year anyway.
I did try a quick experiment with the chain and see if I could get away without the tensioner but it was either way too slack or not joining up, even with a half link, it might work though with a different chainring or sprocket size.
I don't mind the torque arm now, although I haven't had any punctures in bad weather, it's no hardship to unclip the torque arm anyway.
I got the rear rack on to fit clear of the external mech box no problem.

Photos from my week on Mull here

Great photos...jealous.

Andre Jute

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 03:08:50 pm »
Just back on Sunday from a week on Mull with my Rohloff equipped Sherpa.

Photos from my week on Mull here

Wow. Thanks for sharing. I'm too old and attached to my comforts to go out on the Isles in the winter, but your photographs are so fine, it is almost as if I were in your party. Superb! -- Andre Jute

rualexander

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 06:16:11 pm »
Latest update on my Sherpa.

Over the last few months I've had a clunking/knocking noise (I could feel it through the pedals and hear it through the frame) which I was ignoring but after a two week tour to Wales and Normandy it became more noticeable and annoying so I decided to try and sort it out.

Initially changed bottom bracket but that wasn't it, so decided to try a new chainring and chain.
As I was doing this anyway I thought I'd try and see if I could get away without the chain tensioner. Having played around with various combinations on this magic gear calculator, I decided to try a 38 tooth chainring with my existing 16 tooth sprocket.

The chain was fairly tight when first fitted but not too tight and just on the limit of the 'T1-T2' recommended measurement, after the first 30 miles or so it slackened off a bit more and is now pretty good.
Subjective impression is that the bike certainly feels smoother without the tensioner.
And the clunking noise has gone so it was either coming from the chain/chainring or the tensioner!

Now I just have to see how long it is until the chain starts to get too slack and whether I can get away with taking out a full link and replacing it with a half link to achieve good tension again.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2012, 05:29:04 pm »
Ru,

My compliments on the very high quality and execution of your Sherpa's Rohloff conversion -- one of the most outstanding I've seen, and just about "factory clean". You can be proud; it is a true beauty! I can't tell you how many times I've returned to look at it.

It has now been a bit over six months since your last post and with the riding you've added since then, I'm wondering how things worked out with managing your chain stretch, and if you have identified the definitive source of your drivetrain noise.

If the present chain-tensioning scheme doesn't prove out, may I suggest a look at this: http://philwood.com/products/bbpages/philcentric.php.  Phil Wood have come up with a mini-eccentric that works with a standard BB shell. Accounts by fixed-gear riders indicate it works well though you might still need half-links to aid in taking up wear. It is similar in concept to the mini-eccentric used on the Mercury, but executed very differently. Phil's model requires a crank compatible with external-bearing bottom brackets.

Eagerly anticipating the next report on how everything is working for you and the Sherp'off and wondering if you're both planning another trip together when the weather improves. Looking forward to future installments and updates!

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 09:10:52 pm by Danneaux »

rualexander

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 09:53:58 pm »
Thanks Dan.
Since the last update everything has been smooth running, I have probably covered about 1500 miles on the Sherpa including a 3 week tour in France (Cevennes and Haut Languedoc). Rohloff has been superb and chain tension has slackened off but not excessively yet, lack of tensioner is no problem. I never pinpointed the source of the noise but suspect it was something to do with the tensioner, maybe a chainline alignment issue. But all is smooth now!
I have a half link ready in my spares kit if the chain gets too slack and starts jumping off, when I will try removing a full link and fitting the half link to put some tension back into the chain.
I had my first go at wheelbuilding last summer and built a Shimano dynohub into my existing front rim, it has amazingly remained perfectly true for the past six months! I can charge AA batteries in my B&M Ixon IQ from the dynohub.
Over the winter months I have fitted studded tyres (Schwalbe Snow Stud on the rear, and Nokian Hakkapelitta 106 on the front) so the Sherpa only gets used when snow or ice threaten, on dry and clear days I am out on my Audax mk3.

Next thing I'm going to try is changing to V brakes, I have the Tektro drop bar levers ready and just need to get the actual brakes, I've always been happy with cantilevers but thought I'd give Vs a try.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 10:39:55 pm by rualexander »

rualexander

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2012, 09:59:10 pm »
Couple more pics, couldn't get all of them in the same post.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 12:58:31 am »
Thanks so much for the followup and updates; this is just what I was hoping for...

I had my first go at wheelbuilding last summer and built a Shimano dynohub into my existing front rim, it has amazingly remained perfectly true for the past six months!
:D Not amazing at all; you did a good job of it, and the proof is in the pudding! Nice job! Your charging setup is very elegant and straightforward, and a fine way to keep the AA cells charged.

I think you'll find the change to v-brakes worthwhile, for the most part. Like you, I'd always run cantilevers (still do on my other tourers and the tandem. Another bike has brazed-on mounts for the centerpulls a'la the old Herse and Singer bikes) and I am happy with them. That said, I am also happy with my first set of v-brakes, supplied with Sherpa. Setup is incredibly quick and easy compared even to my cantilevers. A tip: Depending on your  model v-brake, you may have to select an outer hole among the three available to get adequate return-spring tension on the Sherpa. Easy enough. Using the Tektro drop bar levers (RL520 Aero V) or the interrupter levers  (Tektro 740 V), I have nice, progressive braking that is easily modulated and plenty powerful using Kool-Stop salmon cartridge pads in the Shimano holders. Compared to my the Dia-Compe Aero Gran Compe levers I use with my other bikes, the Tektro dop-'bar levers do have a little plastic protrusion at the pivot my fingers keep finding. Not uncomfortable, just new, and the hoods on the Tektros are far roomier and more comfortable than on the Dia-Compes. They even include a nice little sliding quick-release pin that makes it easier to unhook the cable noodle from the v-brakes, and if you look closely, you'll see Tektro cranked the levers so they're easier to actuate with your fingers while on the hoods. I think you'll be happy with the change, and I look forward to hearing how you like them compared to a nicely setup pair of cantilevers.

Your Sherp'off still looks wonderful, even (maybe "especially") decorated in a little mud and dirt. It is a real working bike, and extra-beautiful for that alone. Yours is a conversion I might someday consider myself if the Rohloff bug hits, though I think I'd make it a hybrid, with a pair of chainrings in a half-step setup, since I'd like to split the Rohloff's usual 14 evenly-spaced steps. Thanks again for posting this originally and for the welcome updates with photos.

All best wishes,

Dan.

rualexander

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2012, 05:46:10 pm »
I finally got around to converting to V brakes.
Snapped up a set of these Cannondale branded V brakes from SJSC and fitted them along with the Tektro levers I've had waiting in a box for about six months.
I am happy with the brakes, they do indeed have quite a lot more power than the cantilevers, and the design of the Tektro levers is good with the quick release button to allow easy noodle release for wheel removal, and the Cannondale brakes themselves seem good quality.

A couple of weeks ago I had a week touring the Isle of Mull again and for the second year running had superb warm sunny weather at the end of March!
Photo slideshow here : http://www.flickr.com/photos/rualexander/sets/72157629817442735/show/

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2012, 09:30:43 pm »
A superb collection of photos! I love your shots of the tent and the stars and moon behind in that ideal wild camping spot. Makes me want to take off now across the country to Mull! The weather has been pretty good for April so far in Scotland (in between the sun we have had only a few snow and hail showers in the Borders). I think you will be pretty happy with your Rohloff - mine too was second hand and is running well.

Good conversion and many more happy miles!!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2012, 08:54:52 am »
Rual,

These are truly stunning photos, and you've done a tremendous job taking and presenting them. What country! How well-portrayed!

A truly fabulous trip.

I'll be returning many times to appreciate them anew.

Well done! Thanks so much for sharing them with us.

All the best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2012, 02:38:28 pm »
How did i miss this thread first time round, those photos are pure Magic  never seen the like brilliant.
and the bike conversion i didn't know you could use a rohloff on the sherpa great job for sure.

rualexander

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2012, 11:46:47 am »
Latest update to this thread about my Sherpa.

All is going well. It's now over a year since I got rid of the chain tensioner and although the chain is now pretty slack, it is still working fine, I need to have a look to see if it is slack enough to remove a link and insert a half link. Probably covered about 3000 miles since ditching the tensioner.
Had three weeks touring in Ireland (Antrim, Donegal and Leitrim) in June, mixed weather but good all the same, photos can be seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/rualexander/sets/72157630498700480/show/
Axa Nano Plus light with USB port kept phone charged from dynohub no problem.
Put a set of Schwalbe Kojak 26x2.0 tyres on before holiday and they were excellent, fast rolling, no punctures, recommended.

I may be tempted to replace my Sherpa frame with a Raven Tour frame when the new mk3 Raven becomes available as there will now be a large frame size with the same top tube length as my Sherpa.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2012, 04:58:18 pm »
Rual!

My goodness, those are fantastic photos. I thought your previous trip galleries were something, but you've simply outdone yourself with these. Especially nice are the coastal scenes with the boats and lighthouses, and you've really captured the flavor of touring with your self-taken shots.

Well done, and a real treat to see!

So very nice to hear the Sherp'off continues to excel. You set it up beautifully, so it had every chance for success, but to find it continuing to perform over time, well, the proof is in the pudding. Nicest, cleanest Rohloff conversion I've seen. Yes...if the new Mk3 Raven frame will be a good fit, by all means go for it! I'd love to hear how it works for you, and looking forward to a first-person evaluation wrt how it compares to the Sherp'off.

The Kojak report is of real value to me...I've spent most of my touring life on slicks (even and especially off-road...desert playa wipes off a smooth surface far better than treaded), and found the only real obstacle was on wet, long, green grass. I can even spin-out the slick rear tandem tire riding *with* a stoker on wet grass. The slicks work great on every other surface, and how often does one ride on wet green grass?

Rual, that Axa Nano w/USB report is gold! So looking forward to future installments, but it sounds like a real winner as far as charging goes. How was the beam for night riding? Is the plastic part(s) of the housing holding up well?

Thanks again for a corker of an update...goin' back for more of those photos!

All the best,

Dan.

rualexander

Re: Thorn Sherpa with Rohloff - update March 2013
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2013, 07:09:55 pm »
Since the last update on my Sherpa everything's been going well.

Had a 12 day trip to Murcia region of Spain in October, photos here http://www.flickr.com/photos/rualexander/sets/72157631976574521/show/

Took the Schwalbe Kojaks off a few months ago after suffering my first ever fall on a wet corner, hit the deck pretty hard and slid along the (luckily quiet) road, no significant injuries thankfully, but pretty painful at the time. I don't know if there was anything greasy on the road but I suspect it was the Kojaks not being quite grippy enough when leaned into a wet corner. So I have replaced them with Schwalbe Supreme 26 x 2.0 folders.
Currently have the winter studded tyres still on though as winter is dragging on.

The Axa Nano Plus headlight continues to perform well, and did the job on my trip to Spain. First night I arrived in Spain at 22:30 and cycled a few km to the campsite in the dark with the light on, then for the rest of the trip it kept my phone charged. And when I flew home I arrived back in Scotland at 23:30 and cycled home for 4 hours through the night!

In recent weeks the chain has finally become so slack that it was jumping off the sprocket now and again on bumpy roads, so I tried taking a link out and fitting a half link, but it was just too tight after that. So, I took the half link out and the full link back in and bought a Gusset Batchelor chain tensioner to take up the slack until the chain wears a bit more and I can do the half link thing.
I still have the Rohloff tensioner in the cupboard but preferred the design of the Gusset Batchelor for this purpose.
I would have had to lengthen the chain with unworn links for the Rohloff tensioner.
Some photos taken today of the tensioner and another snowy ride:

« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 07:14:03 pm by rualexander »

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2013, 07:14:10 pm »
Looks like the lorry needed some chains itself! On your Rohloff Sherpa, no problem passing through and on your way.