Author Topic: Thorn Sherpa or Nomad (cheap!)  (Read 8044 times)

b1ke

Thorn Sherpa or Nomad (cheap!)
« on: January 21, 2011, 10:50:12 pm »
Hi,

I'm looking for a budget Thorn tourer, 26 inch wheels, rear mech friendly, drops or flats immaterial, condition doesn't need to be great, happy to put in some work. Something around a 58cm (I'm 6ft 2in), colour not bothered, but the darker the better. Doesn't need to be a complete bike, I can work with frame and forks (uncut steerer) only. Don't want to pay too much because I'm not that wealthy. I'm based in Brighton but happy to travel/organise courier for the right bike.

Let me know if you have anything tucked away in your garage/workshop that might fit the bill.

Thanks

ThousandYardStare

Re: Thorn Sherpa or Nomad (cheap!)
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 10:06:49 am »
FYI you might find a Sherpa for £700 or so if you're lucky. They don't come a lot cheaper than that in a reasonable state. Even then it might not be the right size. If you can find a frame you might save £100 on that (assuming you want a reasonable Deore-ish spec), ebaying all the parts and building it yourself. The words 'budget' and 'Thorn tourer' don't often find themselves in the same sentence ;)

b1ke

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 11:49:47 am »
Hi and thanks for your comments. I was aware when I wrote the word 'cheap' in the title that it sounded like a contradiction in terms. However, I live in hope and maybe someone out there has a slightly dusty, somewhat neglected (ideally racing green or gun metal grey ;)) Sherpa or Nomad languishing in a dark corner of a dark shed that they really want to pass on to a very good and financially impoverished home....!  ;D

brummie

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 07:42:51 pm »
Thousandyardstare - Surprised you haven't recommended your Thorn Nomad from the 'For sale' section !

ThousandYardStare

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 08:43:30 pm »
I guessed that would've been the first place he'd look. Doesn't seem to be in the right price bracket anyway, which is a shame 'cos it'd fit the bill perfectly otherwise (it's even racing green!). Maybe you could sell a kidney or something, b1ke?

b1ke

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 09:47:42 pm »
Not sure - how much is the average kidney worth? I have seen your Nomad and it's very nice (including the colour). But, yes, it's out of my price bracket. Sadly.

ThousandYardStare

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 10:37:02 pm »
Check out Albanian ebay for organ prices- may cover a Sherpa if you're lucky. Throw in a lung as well and you might have enough for a Rohloff tourer ;)

b1ke

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 01:00:30 pm »
I'm no medical expert, but throwing in a lung might hinder my ability to pedal. But then I suppose there's always electric assist  8)

ThousandYardStare

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 02:08:29 pm »
Stick to Holland or East Anglia and you'll be fine

ps Oh- I've just spotted a Nomad on ebay! A bit the worse for wear mind you. Be quick though- only 90 mins left!

b1ke

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 05:15:42 pm »
I've toured Holland and East Anglia, nice but a tad pedestrian. Fancy somewhere a bit more scenic. I bid on the Nomad, but it wasn't to be. It went over my £37.50 limit  8)

ThousandYardStare

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 06:04:52 pm »
Shame you missed out :'(

More scenic than East Anglia- Where exists such a place :o ?!?

Not quite on the same level as the majestic fens but I can recommend Iceland if you want a spectacular tour without going tooooo far from home. Magnificent country, particularly the interior. You'd need both lungs though I'm afraid.

sweats

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 09:58:56 pm »
Hi b1ke
I'm selling a "Sherpa like" Dawes Sardar reynolds 631 frame(large) + bits if you are interested. Its a solid frame and will be cheaper than a Thorn. I had it set up with a Rohloff hub but have now bought a 2nd hand Raven frame.
Cheers
Sweats

b1ke

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 10:34:03 pm »
Hi
I could have been very interested in this, but I think I've sourced a Sherpa frame and forks which I'll build up with stuff I've already got lying around. Shame though, I really like the Sardar.

ThousandYardStare

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 10:48:35 pm »
Good news, b1ke! Good luck with the build.

My other bike's a Sardar (not a best selling bumper sticker, that). Well the frame at least, that's about the only original part left, other than the seatpost. It's certainly a quality frame to build around- A nice ride, and mine's been to hell and back and is still just about hanging in there, despite the best efforts of Vancouver airport baggage handlers. How much do you want for it, Sweats, out of interest? Is the 'large' the roughly 22" one?

sweats

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 05:45:04 pm »
Hi TYS
Frame is 20" (seat tube) 22 1/2" (top tube), it comes with forks, headset bearings, stem, seat pillar, mudgaurds, rack and v brakes. Frame is in good condition and is very tough. I am considering keeping it and putting an Alfine hub on it to make a bullet proof commuter bike. Would be looking for around £120.00.
Sweats