Author Topic: Surly nice racks front and rear ..ebay  (Read 3258 times)

travelling

Surly nice racks front and rear ..ebay
« on: January 08, 2011, 07:10:22 pm »
Not mine but selling both at the price of one..might be someones cuppa tea

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120668314729&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

ThousandYardStare

Re: Surly nice racks front and rear ..ebay
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 08:02:17 pm »
Better off with a brand new set of Tubus or Thorn Expedition racks for that money. And you'd save some weight too- Surlys are heeeeeaaaavvvvvy...at least double the weight of a set of Tubus racks in fact (which are more than strong enough for any expedition). AND these ones are covered in rust... :-\

Surly have gone a bit OTT with their 'Nice Racks', in my opinion. The platform on the front can be handy, but isn't really necessary. Nor's a higher position for front panniers... I was convinced it'd be useful on rough roads, and ended up buying a Jannd Extreme, but in dozens of thousands of rough kilometres I haven't once felt the need to use the upper rails.

Cheers for the heads up though, Travelling ;)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 11:54:29 pm by ThousandYardStare »

travelling

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 08:45:07 am »
Agreed

My personal favourites would be thorn expedition rear rack and a old man mountain cold springs front

However..for some  they are surly fans and as such second hand they rarely come up...I suspect they may not get bought at that price..and hopefully the seller will then relist for a more reasonable price ..even if they may not be everyones cuppa tea

ThousandYardStare

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 01:24:35 pm »
I've got a Tubus Cargo on one bike and a Thorn Expedition on the other. Tubus have a wonderful reputation for reliability, and the Cargo saves 300g over the Thorn Expedition. But I have to say the Thorn is way more stable, and its utterly bombproof construction is possibly worth the extra weight for peace of mind. It's really reasonably priced too, considering the market.

I might actually be on the look out for a new front rack...that Old Man Mountain you mention looks very decent for the weight- though more in the sus-fork/ off-road category, by the looks of it, with only the high rails. I'd prefer to go steel if possible, too.

travelling

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 01:50:23 pm »
Re-old man mountain racks...Vik a member in here has some good write ups on various racks and luggage etc