Author Topic: Paint - Enamel or Powder  (Read 2860 times)

peter jenkins

Paint - Enamel or Powder
« on: December 24, 2010, 05:57:16 am »
Hello there,

This topic started in the Thorn General Discussion area (Paintwork, OP being Manuel) but has become a bit more general now.

I’m contemplating a custom repaint of one of my bikes as soon as my budget allows.. I will come to that shortly.

Amongst my collection of bikes, I have a 1993 Trek 7000 which, research tells me, is painted with DuPont Imron, a polyrethane enamel. The stuff is still available but I get the impression that it's no longer used for bicycles. My wife has a Trek of similar vintage, also painted with Imron and they have both worn exceptionally well. A thorough wash and a touch of wax and they look almost new. Also, last year, I splashed out and bought a Pashley Moulton TSR 30. I've used it a lot for commuting and shorter Audax rides, so it's done around 8,000 kms. The paint is a dark burgundy and claims to be stove enamel. It is still pristine, but to be fair, the space frame construction doesn't present any great surface area to pick up chips or scratches.

I also have two steel bikes, including a Thorn Club Tour, which are powder coated in similar shades of blue. The paint work on these is pretty good, but doesn't seem to have the same quality as the enamel painted bikes. They've seen abit of use and I would describe the finish on them now as average. No better, but certainly no worse. The CT was bought in 2005 and has been about 30,000 kms of touring, commuting and Audax, the other bike was repainted around 11 years ago. They haven't been neglected but on the other hand, I don't expect them to be unblemished as they get ridden in the real world.

The BIG disappointment is my pride and joy, a Bianchi Mega Pro SL. This was a 50th birthday present and has accordingly been coddled, bathed in ass's milk and blow dried after each Sunday ride. It's a lovely bike but the paint is reminiscent of a Fiat from the 60's. It's awfully thin and 10 years of use has made the bike look almost as old as me. I am guessing that the Bianchi is powder coated but can't be sure. The internet is distressingly silent on this.

Now... the point I need some help on is this: All my other bikes are relatively dark coloured (and the enamelled ones are darker than the powder coated ones) but the Bianchi is the traditional Celeste (light blue/green) and during my preliminary investigations I have been told that the pigment in the darker paints is more resilient and longer wearing than lighter colours. Does anyone out there have any knowledge on this? OR... is it that enamel is superior when it's good quality and applied properly?

It would be useful to hear your opinions on this before I commit my "Sunday" bike to the tender care of a painter as I am reluctant to depart from the 'celeste' paint but would do so if it meant a longer lasting finish....

Regards to all and Merry Christmas.

pj

Bearbait

Re: Paint - Enamel or Powder
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 12:55:40 pm »
I would be interested in comments as I endlessly ponder what colour for my RST.  is there one more resilient than another?

expr

Re: Paint - Enamel or Powder
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 10:28:39 pm »
Comments now posted on the original post.

Dave.