Author Topic: Pinch flats  (Read 2578 times)

alcyst

• Apistos Leander
Pinch flats
« on: January 01, 2011, 06:57:38 pm »
I have gotten two pinch flats in quick succession, both were at reasonable speed carrying an 80kg+ rider with possibly poor bump-jumping technique. Both times I was going over a deteriorating speed ramp (i.e. a large bump with a poor surface).  I believe my tyre pressure was correct on both. Anybody with similiar experience, advice? I may just have to learn to bunny hop.

gearoidmuar

Re: Pinch flats
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 06:43:36 am »
Give us a clue!!

What tyres?

I've had dozens of pinch punctures (we live in flats here) in my time with 700c tyres, but have NEVER ever had one on 26 inch wheels (I use Specialized Fatboys) in maybe 20  years. Tyre pressure AND diameter are critical factors.
I suppose since you used an Americanism I should finish with
Go Figure, whatever the hell that means!! :)

alcyst

• Apistos Leander
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 07:31:15 am »
Hmm, I went looking to see what a 26 inch tyre was and got "There are no fewer than 5 different, incompatible "26 inch" sizes!" from sheldonbrown.com . Whatever dude, they're not going on my rims.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 03:12:31 pm »
"There are no fewer than 5 different, incompatible "26 inch" sizes!"

I got into this variety of torture a couple years back when we bought a couple very cheap used bikes from a fellow the next town over. The tires were rotten and I had to replace them. These cheap bikes are really meant to be used... the bike shops all just laughed at me - nobody puts new tires on those bikes! One bike was a Magna brand - maybe both were, of slightly different vintages.

I went to

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/

and looked up the little numbers on the sidewalls and I did manage to find the right tires. But it was pretty much a nightmare. The bikes were such junk they we went out and replaced them, with a Jamis and a Giant. So now I have a small stash of really odd sized tires!

About a year later the STI shifters on my Trek 520 failed and then I started around again trying to find compatible parts ... I could see myself replacing the whole drive train because all those parts are just unavailable... that whole slippery slope led me to a Thorn Nomad! Am I insane or is the world insane? At least I got a nice bike out of it!

Jim