Author Topic: Bar end shifters -v- STI  (Read 9191 times)

doug

• The Cycle Hub
Bar end shifters -v- STI
« on: December 22, 2010, 08:12:05 pm »
Hi, I'm new here...

I've just committed to an Audax Mk3 but before I decide on the details, I'd appreciate any views on the SJS option of bar end shifters (with upgraded front & rear mechs) instead of Shimano STI shifters.

My heart says the STI does look/feel comfortable but my head says the bar end option is the better bet in the long run.

Thanks in advance....
http://thecyclehub.net - The life long joy of cycling

peter jenkins

Re: Bar end shifters -v- STI
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 11:10:37 pm »
Hi Doug,

I can't comment with any authority on STI, but I do have a Club Tour with barends and 3 bikes with Campag Ergolevers.

Some random comments:

Barends are easier to use when on the drops (I have small hands).

Ergos are obviously easier to use on the hoods .

Barends can trim the front derailleur very effectively. This can be an issue with Ergos and a triple chain ring. STI's may be better at this.

Barends can shift across several cogs in either direction in one movement. Older Ergos do this but not later versions. I don't know if STI's do this or not.

The position of the bar end levers is a good indicator of which gear you are in. This can be useful towards the end of a 200 KM Audax ride in hilly terrain.

My Club Tour has travelled about 30,000 kms (touring, Audax, commuting) with no barend issues and they are virtually maintenance free.

Some people don't like barends because they can hit your knee when you're out of the saddle. Let me assure you it only happens once!

I hope this helps....

Enjoy your Mk3

pj

doug

• The Cycle Hub
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 11:19:11 pm »
Thank you PJ - we're thinking on similar lines. 

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 11:50:23 pm »
It was the failure of the STI shifters on my 1996 Trek 520 that got the ball rolling this year, resulting in a new Thorn Nomad. My Trek has a 7 sprocket rear cluster. The STI shifters aren't serviceable. I don't think 7 speed shifters are even available anymore. I forget the whole decision process, but I ended up putting down tube shifters on the Trek. I think the rear shifter is indexed for 8 speeds, but it works fine for 7. It's just the derailleur stop that prevents that last shift.

The front STI shifter let me downshift I think 1, 2, or 3 steps with a single movement. So that was quite handy coming to an up hill.

sg37409

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 11:56:42 pm »
There is a lot of info on this choice out there already. I have both. I think it comes to personal choice as both clearly work well.
Overall, I prefer bar-ends because....
- They are much easier to use with gloves, if thats a factor for you.
- I like seeing/feeling what gear I'm in by the position of the levers.
- They are much easier to use on the drops

I think STI's are better in a tighter racier environment and I love the convience of them in these cases.
The hoods on STI's have developed to become really comfortable, more so (imho) than std shimano or tekro brake lever hoods.

doug

• The Cycle Hub
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 07:59:52 pm »
Thank you and the more I think about it, the more I like the perceived simplicity and reliability of bar end shifters. Having said that, they do look a bit odd but that's no big deal. 

I'm still open minded to hear arguments in favour of STI.....

PH

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 11:07:31 pm »
What are you used to?  I have used both and find if I can change gear without moving my hand I do so more often.  I think this is a good thing though others may not.  If I am going to move my hand to change gear, I may as well go simpler still and use downtube shifters.

doug

• The Cycle Hub
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 11:48:36 pm »
What am I used to?  Neither STI or bar end shifters as I have down tube levers, not indexed and even more awkward to use nowadays owing to probably a combination of a rear mech that is stiff, with a weak spring with a dryish cable.  Consequently I tend to change gear only when necessary.

sg37409

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 05:55:44 pm »
>> they do look a bit odd but that's no big deal

I think this is a good thing !

doug

• The Cycle Hub
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 06:23:38 pm »
Thanks everyone.  You might have gathered from my other post in the Thorn General section, I have gone for bar end shifters.

They work really well, my only problem is remembering whether to pull up or push down; its not yet automatic.

I know that shifting performance depends on a whole load of components working together, so the shifters are only an element, but it all works really well.  I went for an 11-26t 9 speed cassette.  It shifts almost silently both back and front with no fuss at all.

Suffice to say, it has the edge on my 25 year old Huret long cage rear mech etc on the old bike.  That is now like driving a vintage car without synchromesh gears.

Erudin

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 03:00:56 am »
Just put some Dura-Ace 9spd downtube shifters on my Audax Mk3 as now using a Shimano LX hubbed wheel on the back, the cartridge bearings in the Ambrosio Zenith wheels I was using had seized after getting wet. Shifts through the gears very cleanly using a Deore low-normal dérailleur, levers forward for low gears, back for high. Was going to put bar-end shifters on but decided to relive the simplicity of down-tube shifters.

sg37409

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 06:18:17 pm »
Nice - think I've got some 9sp 105's in the garage, I might try the same retro approach when i replace teh worn transmission on my winter/audax bike.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 05:09:50 am »
Hi All,

There will soon be another option available that combines both downtube shifters and drop-bar brake levers into a pseudo-STI mashup.  It might be better than either at providing reliable all-conditions brake-lever-mounted shifting.  It certainly looks promising for cyclocross, though it appears one might have to shift from the brake hoods.

See:

http://www.bikerumor.com/2011/11/28/first-look-retroshift-brake-shift-levers-for-cyclocross/

What a shame the price is so high, though that might drop with economies of scale in full production.  I wish someone like Tektro could produce these as a complete assembly and include a model suitable for V-brakes as well.

Best,

Dan.

Erudin

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 10:26:33 am »
The Retroshift levers look good, hopefully they will develop beyond their cyclocross application as you suggest.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 04:40:40 pm »
Some recent video showing some more highly-developed versions of the Retroshift:
http://vimeo.com/35479471

Best,

Dan.