Author Topic: Catskills Nomad  (Read 109195 times)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: Catskills Nomad
« Reply #225 on: November 28, 2013, 06:35:13 pm »
Cooper Lake. My mittens, thick fleece with nylon over-mitts, kept my fingers warm. But my toes! Got to pull out those heavier insulated boots!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #226 on: November 28, 2013, 06:36:30 pm »
Lovely photo, Jim!

Happy Thanksgiving! (looks like you're burning off the turkey and pumpkin pie; mine is still in the oven, some three hours earlier than you).

All the best,

Dan.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #227 on: November 28, 2013, 06:48:48 pm »
looks like you're burning off the turkey and pumpkin pie

Nah, building up an appetite! Enjoy your feast - I hope you have warm company with whom to share it!

jags

« Reply #228 on: November 28, 2013, 06:58:37 pm »
wow looks like great cycling country for sure.

John Saxby

« Reply #229 on: November 28, 2013, 07:27:21 pm »
Love the foto, Jim.  Flew over your territory a week or so ago, from Ottawa south to DC and then onwards to points further south (see below.)  Those rounded hills, all barren of leaf cover cover now -- thought of Hemingway's description, "hills like brown elephants".  Nice contrast with the lake, for sure.  Really must try to get to the Catskills on my Raven next year.

Just saw a friend's foto sent from Ottawa: 25 cms of snow on Tues night, -15 before the windchill.  :-(   Not much riding just now, I reckon, not even for the hardcore. But I did check in with the guys at my LBS, now in their new digs, and we worked out a calendar (mid-January start) for building the boike.

Oh yes, points south, and why I'm getting snowy fotos from home:  writing this from, ah, how shall I say this, a hotel window overlooking the surf of Copacabana beach, Rio de Janeiro.  Have just finished a small learning forum with friends & colleagues from Brazil,  next week, will begin the followup.  Tough work, but someone's gotta do it.  Terrifying traffic for cyclists, though -- can't bear to look.

Happy Thanksgiving to Jim, Dan, and all your families,

Abraços a todos,

John

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #230 on: November 29, 2013, 01:02:40 am »
Here is a nice blog about cycling around here:

http://ridingthecatskills.com/

Oooo, Rio! Probably some nice biking around there somewhere, but maybe just walking on the beach is enough! Enjoy it for all of us northerners!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 01:35:02 am by JimK »

John Saxby

« Reply #231 on: November 29, 2013, 01:44:08 am »
Great blog, Jim, with super pictures -- guy obviously loves the countryside, and rightly so. The height/distance graphs suggest some steep grades!

Thanks, eh.

J.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #232 on: March 16, 2014, 09:22:53 pm »
I hope I haven't gotten ahead of the curve... today I switched from studded Winter tires back to the Supremes!

We move a couple months ago from a house that had a basement to an apartment that doesn't: from a house where there was a spot with a hook in the ceiling to an apartment that doesn't! So I splurged and bought a work stand. Nice for changing tires!

John Saxby

« Reply #233 on: March 16, 2014, 10:47:06 pm »
today I switched from studded Winter tires back to the Supremes
  Good for you, Jim -- a bold, decisive move to make the Weather Gods back off.  Good luck with the Nomad's summer shoes. Those stands really are handy, aren't they?  Dunno how I managed without one all these years.  Not very well, truth be told.

Heard a clutch of starlings (I think they were) the other day, but they've all gone silent, poor wee things, cowering from the relentless north-westerlies.  There are new a few more bikes on the streets here, as the snow is very slowly disappearing.  And to think that next Friday is March 21st.  Provisional completion date for my Raven is next weekend--we've had the usual delays in suppliers' shipping things like rims to The Great White North.  At long last! -- but I'm going to have to wait for a while to do the final tweaking for size, as I have a work assignment which will take me away from Ottawa from late March to late April.  Maybe by the time I get back, all the blessed snow will have melted.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #234 on: March 16, 2014, 11:04:19 pm »
Ouch, that's tough, to have a beautiful new bike arriving just as you need to depart! Yeah I hope the weather presents you with a splendid welcome home in April!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #235 on: March 17, 2014, 12:45:56 am »
So glad you have the stand, Jim; you'll soon wonder how you ever got by without.

To help appease the weather imps, I promise to not wash the car. That will offset mowing both lawns a few moments ago. Hopefully you'll have had your last snowfall as a result. The summer tires can't hurt!

All the best,

Dan.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #236 on: March 17, 2014, 07:58:16 pm »
Heading off on a little spin today... I am really out of shape at this point so it will be a long slog but there is no way around it - short rides can be fun, too, though! But wait! These Supremes are awesome! I hadn't realized how much rolling resistance those studded winter tires have! But it can't be just that! Maybe it's the steel cut oats! I feel so strong!

Then I turned back north on Hurley Mountain Road, into the head wind, that had been a tail wind up til then. Rats. Back to the slog!

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/374358549

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #237 on: March 17, 2014, 08:09:04 pm »
You've got the tire thing taken care of, Jim. Now...more steel-cut oats!  :D

Hard work early in the season, but there's compensations -- no snow, for example!

Best,

Dan.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #238 on: August 14, 2014, 11:17:03 pm »
My bike odometer crossed 10,000 miles today - I got the odometer in May, 2011, about 6 months after my Nomad arrived. It was a beautiful day for my longest ride so far this year:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/501123108

jags

« Reply #239 on: August 14, 2014, 11:22:27 pm »
Did ya ever think you would cycle 10,000 miles  ;)
in such a short space of time fantastic things these bikes.
lovely photo jim keep at it.

jags.