Author Topic: Catskills Nomad  (Read 109183 times)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: Catskills Nomad
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2011, 08:17:45 pm »

I guess it's called Fish Creek - that's Fish Creek Rd that crosses over the bridge in the distance. There's a fellow fishing off the bridge, and another guy fishing on the right.

Here I am approaching Platte Clove Rd:

It's mighty scary just to drive a car up through there. The road is closed in the winter - opens again on April 15. Someday I hope to ride my bike up through there, but there is a lot of strength and stamina building between me and that goal!

http://www.everydayhealth.com/blogs/workoutandloseweight/the-platte-clove-bicycle-workout is somebody else's story of that climb.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2011, 08:38:13 pm »

Overlook Mountain behind the Ashokan reservoir.

Cedric

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2011, 07:54:24 am »
Jim,

Really nice picture.
And nice weather too.  :)

Cedric.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2011, 06:25:32 pm »

The Phoenicia Library burned down a few months ago. So I thought a nice project would be to haul some books over there: a 15 mile ride with 750 feet of climbing. A good way to take advantage of the strengths of the bike!

The librarian told me they're not accepting book donations anymore, but I told her I really didn't want to lug them back home on my bike, so she accepted them. Whew!

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2011, 10:34:06 pm »

Old King's highway, north of Saugerties. Looking west, toward the Catskills.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2011, 02:29:48 am »

At the east end of the Kingston-Rhinecliff bridge, that crosses the Hudson River.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2011, 09:00:13 pm »

at the top of Hutchin Hill Rd. Woodstock village is at 600 foot elevation. The bottom of Hutchin Hill Rd is 950. The top is 1850. It's hard to say where the road ends and the last private drive starts... I suppose we could have ridden a bit further!

That last 900 foot climb was about a mile long - roughly an 18% grade. Even more fun, the top half or so was gravel that was quite thick in places. I don't know what tires would have worked, but the Marathon Supremes were not a lot of fun. My riding partner had full knobby mountain bike tires and he was spinning in the gravel too. But we made it!

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2011, 09:56:37 pm »

Mill Rd, Olivebridge, NY

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2011, 03:31:46 am »
Hurricane Irene hit us pretty hard. Here's a bridge that got washed out:

Power was out for almost three days. We're right in the village - folks out in the country might be out another week or so. Whole sections of some towns got flooded.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2011, 03:50:07 am »
Lots of fallen trees and downed power wires, in every configuration.

The back roads are a real obstacle course! There was a utility crew here from Topeka, Kansas, helping to put things back together. That's a 23 hour drive. Thanks, guys!

jags

« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2011, 07:07:42 pm »
wow jimk hope you escaped any damage looks terrifying.

julk

« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2011, 08:21:27 pm »
Jim,
That footage shows horrendous conditions.
I don't know how people face up to losing say their home.
Hope you have come through without any losses.
Julian.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2011, 08:32:32 pm »
Our little family came through just fine. We had to throw away the stuff in the freezer, but it was a good opportunity for a thorough cleaning which was past due anyway.

I was just down at the local grocer where they were tossing out all the stuff they lost from their freezers. Ouch, that must have been very expensive!

With some key bridges out, I will have to figure out some new biking routes. With all the local damage it could be a long time before everything gets fixed. I have seen remnants of bridges around that look to have been washed away decades ago - perhaps some local bridges will just be abandoned - but probably only the least useful ones.

Looking at the images from the towns not too far away, we sure do feel lucky to have come away essentially unscathed.

jags

« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2011, 09:08:33 pm »
Jim is that weather a regular thing over there,
here in Ireland we don't get extreams of weather, loads of rain but only the misty stuff ;D
anyway jim glad you and yours are okay, guess theres not to bikes like that in your area.