Author Topic: Catskills Nomad  (Read 109810 times)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: Catskills Nomad
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2010, 04:09:15 pm »

Here are my three bikes. In front is my new 565L Thorn Nomad MkII. Behind that is my 1996 Trek 520. I think it is a 59 cm size, or maybe 58 cm. Behind those is a Dutch bike, a Henry Workcycles / Azor Super Transport - a 61 cm frame. The standover on that Azor is really in the danger zone for me!! But it is a super-comfy ride!

The grips on the Nomad look a bit higher up from the saddle than with the 520. But the horizontal distance from the saddle to the grips is right about the same... I was looking to have the distance on the Thorn match that spot on the 520's drops right above the hoods - it's really on the dot!

That Azor probably has about the same wheelbase but look at that relaxed head tube angle and then the swept back handlebars - definitely a challenge with the Azor is that in a tight turn the handlebars will collide with my thighs!

Anyway, here is a little study in frame geometries!

Jim

Cedric

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2010, 08:23:24 pm »
Jim,

By this picture you raised the question I just was going to post  :)
So what is your impression on the Nomad geometry in comparison with horizontal frames?

RGDS,

Cedric

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2010, 09:49:19 pm »
So what is your impression on the Nomad geometry in comparison with horizontal frames?

I certainly haven't noticed anything strange about the way the bike handles any stresses - high torque pedaling, bumps, etc. I suppose there is a bit less room on the seat tube for big water bottles! But honestly I don't notice the sloping top tube hardly at all. I have slung my foot across that way a few times, though, which I would not do with a horizontal top tube!

There seem to be very subtle details of frame geometry that make a huge difference in how a bike handles - and then again, one can play across a wide range with these gross features, and it doesn't really make much difference. I gather the main point of the sloping top tube is just to provide extra standover clearance when suspension shocks are unloaded and lift the front end a few inches. If the extra clearance is essentially free, I don't mind it!

Jim

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 01:32:43 pm »
for the record, the serial number of my Rohloff hub is 127514.

I swapped out my Schwalbe Supremes and replaced them with Schwalbe studded winter tires. I've just had them out on a couple short rides so far but they're less work than I was expecting. There's grit down on the roads here to help with traction on the ice and snow - the noise from the studs is pretty much masked by the noise from the grit!

I don't plan to ride much over the winter - the crazy drivers and the narrowing of the roads from the snow banks left by the plows make it just too hazardous - but still, on the occasional nice days, or even for an emergency when the bike might be more robust than the car - the winter tires will be essential!

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2010, 09:06:33 pm »
A bright crisp day, so I ride my fearless Nomad just four miles or so to our local grocery store, load up with a basket of oranges, banana, pineapple - ah, tropical fruits! Carting it back up and over the hill between - it really is a great bike!

But then the bad news - a month after the bike arrived, comes the bill for import duty. Something like the 11% I was dreading. Ouch!

I will really have to put that bike to work to get a good return on all that investment!

Andre Jute

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2010, 09:24:32 pm »
Count yourself lucky, Jim. We pay more import duty, and 21 per cent VAT on top, and, the final insult, the duty also attracts VAT, so a double tax. -- André Jute

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2010, 11:28:34 pm »
the duty also attracts VAT

Ouch! That is really nasty!

There was a little rocky trail that is a short cut from the road to the back of the parking lot where I was headed. I decided to give that a try today - the Nomad didn't even notice. I do feel lucky! Now I just need to make good use of all this luck!

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2011, 07:19:42 pm »
Thanks to Doug who is enjoying his new Audax Mk3 - along the way he mentioned that the frame serial number is on the bottom of the bottom bracket. Underneath lot of mud! But there it is!

C565L10010

I did get out for 20 miles or so on New Years Day. Start at 600 ft elevation, down to about 320, up to 800, back home at 600. Right at the start of the climb there is a mean section, up 120 ft in 1000 ft, but the middle part of that is even worse - perhaps 18%. That's what I get for living in the mountains!

Jim

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2011, 09:35:09 pm »
We've had lots of snow, but a bit of a break for a few days, so finally I could get out a bit:

Andre Jute

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2011, 01:53:38 am »
We've had lots of snow, but a bit of a break for a few days, so finally I could get out a bit:

Be difficult for a motorist to overlook you, Jim.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2011, 01:58:36 pm »
Be difficult for a motorist to overlook you, Jim.

I like the harmony of the colors, the blue mittens and the yellow jacket!

Seriously though, that was my first ride with mittens. A key event that precipitated the acquisition of my new Nomad was the failure of the STI shifters on my 1996 Trek 520. No way to use big floppy mittens with STI shifters! But with the Rohloff twist shift, no problem at all! My hands were nice and toasty!

I'm starting to look at warmer SPD boots, but I'd better leave those in the queue for a while - got to eat, too!

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2011, 11:11:48 pm »
By the Ashokan Reservoir, part of the system that supplies New York City with drinking water.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2011, 11:02:13 pm »
On 28A, the road that runs along the south edge of the Ashokan Reservoir.

Today I rode along High Point Mountain Road, which parallels 28A a bit higher up. The climb up from Peekamoose Road wasn't as bad as I expected - I only stopped once to catch my breath. There is a whole network of country roads from there to the Southeast, down to Route 209. That's one of my big projects for the year, exploring that territory. The basic reservoir loop is 30 miles. The more I explore, the longer the ride.

Relayer

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2011, 11:10:29 am »
Great scenery Jim, keep exploring and keep the pics coming.

Andre Jute

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2011, 02:15:55 pm »
On 28A, the road that runs along the south edge of the Ashokan Reservoir.

By golly, I love your roads, Jim.  -- Andre