Author Topic: Help with choosing Raven or RST  (Read 15330 times)

Hamish

Re: Help with choosing Raven or RST
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2010, 09:01:05 pm »
Well I have a new Raven Tour.  I had a catalyst which I really liked but wanted a bit more carrying capacity so sold it and bought a Raven tour together with a dynohub, CSS rims and a Black Rohloff.

In many ways it's a lovely bike but I don't yet prefer it to the Catalyst which seemed a bit faster and lively.  The steering on the Raven Tour is more road bike like- smoother and more precise but the Catalyst was more 'fun'.  The RT also has a Thorn rack which is superb but I think very rigid which may contribute to the main thing that concerns me a bit which is a lot of shimmy when I ride no hands.  It is worse when I use small but heavy panniers which don't flop about but seem to act as a rigid counterweight on the rear and set up the shimmy resonance. 

I am not sure what to do about it- any one else get shimmy when going no hands?

Otherwise the bike is great and very comfortable and I am getting to like it!  I just wonder if there is a solution to the shimmy.

6527richardm

« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2011, 07:12:21 pm »
I have now ordered my bike I went to the shop and tried both the RT and the RST and on the test ride I could feel little difference but was advised that with large panniers on the RST I may clip them so went for the RT with CSS Grizzly wheels.

I now just have to wait for it to be built depending when that it I may get the train and get used to the bike by riding it home over a couple of days.

Fred A-M

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2011, 05:16:07 pm »
Cpngrats on your decision to become a Thorn owner - I think you've probably made the right choice ref panniers.  I've never had any issues with medium sized panniers on the RST but if you're concerned about carrying fully loaded large panniers, then the RT is probably the better choice ref the loads you'll be looking to carry and its ability to handle them well.   Enjoy!