Author Topic: Replace this with a Thorn ... Nomad or xTc???  (Read 40829 times)

hoogie

Replace this with a Thorn ... Nomad or xTc???
« on: October 29, 2003, 08:38:41 pm »
This is the bike I use for touring at present. This photo was taken on the road from Halls Gap to Dunkeld, located just out of the Grampians, Victoria, Australia

Bike is a bog standard 1990's ??? Giant Yukon, 21.5" 4130 CroMo frame, 7sp gearing [remember those?]. All I did was replace all bearings in hubs when I rebuilt them, headset too, new secondhand BB [ex my racing bike], new tyres, a general clean up, added some racks and we were away!

More details on this and my other bikes on my website http://www.hoogie.co.nz

« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 02:14:03 am by hoogie »

Pedaldog

Re: Replace this with a Thorn ... Nomad or xTc???
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2003, 04:47:11 pm »
Hey Hoogie,
I am a big (19 stones plus luggage) Nomad fan.
I think they are the best upright bike in the whole world ever and I would have lots and lots and lots of them if I could!!![:o)]

KOMPRESSOR

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2003, 11:10:44 am »
Looking at the luggage load that you are carrying you will appreciate the toughness and extra stability under load that the Nomad gives over the XTC. The Nomad sports stronger rear dropouts and fork blades than the XTC does it not? I would imagine this is good indication of what the machines are destined to be used for.

Chris Land

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2003, 01:56:52 pm »
I've pretty much held off responding before as I though you wanted specific feedback on the xTc, but with the setup you are carry I would go with the Nomad - it just handles wonderfully with a full load - impeccable, really.

Add on a set of Thorn carriers and you have a solid set up that will take you anywhere.  My Nomad has a pretty heavy duty wheelset with Rhyno rims, but a lighter wheelset will make a sprightlier bike but still happy to carry weight.  I just like the reassurance!

Not sure what is happening with the end of 531st though.  Will the Nomad now be 725 or something (I've never fully got my head around the Reynolds system...)

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2003, 10:52:01 pm »
The new Nomad is now 725 as per recent adverts.

hoogie

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2003, 02:52:05 am »
quote:
Originally posted by hoogie

This is the bike I use for touring at present. This photo was taken on the road from Halls Gap to Dunkeld, located just out of the Grampians, Victoria, Australia

Bike is a bog standard 1990's[?] Giant Yukon, 21.5" 4130 CroMo frame, 7sp gearing [remember those?]. All I did was replace all bearings in hubs when I rebuilt them, headset too, new secondhand BB [ex my racing bike], new tyres, a general clean up, added some racks and we were away!

More details on this and my other bikes on my website http://www.hoogie.co.nz

[:)] Have just ordered the NOMAD[:)] Can't wait till it gets here! will post some pics once it is built up, otherwise keep looking at my website for updates! http://www.hoogie.co.nz
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 02:00:51 am by hoogie »

Chris Land

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2003, 10:02:45 am »
DM - how does 725 compare to 531ST, in terms of:
Weight?
Strength?
Stiffness?

I know that Reynolds stopped making 531 but I just wondered how much it will change the Nomad?

Hoogie - I'm sure you won't regret.  Lovely bike [:D] and I look forward to seeing the photos

daveireland

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2003, 10:03:11 pm »
I didn't know Reynolds had stopped making 531 and am really surprised since they've been making 531 since something like 1938? So is 725 the new 'standard' Reynolds tubing? I bought a Nomad last year and my wife one this year, both in 531 obviously and plumped for 531 partly out of prejudice, (I have been riding various 531 bikes since 1976 and have always enjoyed the combination of strength and comfort), and partly because I had heard that 725 was thinner-walled and liable to be damaged when handled roughly (by airlines for example). This was the prime mover behind choosing Nomads over the xTc, for example. I have no regrets, the Nomads are fantastic bikes, but I am curious to know if 725 has been beefed up to avoid accidental damage? Will Thorn decide to rationalise a crowded 26" wheel model catalogue and drop either the xTc or the Nomad?

Cephas

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2003, 07:42:24 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by daveireland

I have no regrets, the Nomads are fantastic bikes, but I am curious to know if 725 has been beefed up to avoid accidental damage? Will Thorn decide to rationalise a crowded 26" wheel model catalogue and drop either the xTc or the Nomad?

The xTc uses a mix of 0.9/0.6/0.9mm and 0.8/0.5/0.8mm gauge 725 tubing, while the Nomad's 725 is 1.0/0.7/1.0mm, same as the old beefed up 531st.
Although the xTc and Nomad now start at the same price point, the differences in tubing gauge and frame geometry will appeal to different riders. Or the same rider (me!) who will want one of each. I hope they both remain in the catalogue.

And Hoogie, I started out with a similar Taiwanese MTB converted for touring, then built up a Nomad frame. You're going to love it.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2003, 05:53:06 am by Cephas »

hoogie

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2003, 12:44:45 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Cephas

The xTc uses a mix of 0.9/0.6/0.9mm and 0.8/0.5/0.8mm gauge 725 tubing, while the Nomad's 725 is 1.0/0.7/1.0mm, same as the old beefed up 531st.

And Hoogie, I started out with a similar Taiwanese MTB converted for touring, then built up a Nomad frame. You're going to love it.

Hi there, thanks for your comments.

How do find the Nomad rides unladen?? Have you changed the wheels for everyday riding?

While I did seriously look at the XTC, and received many comments about it being a really nice bike. I think it was just a bit too light for my type of touring, so I guess I got a bike built for two weeks of the year I go touring, rather than the XTC which is good for the other 50 weeks of the year?

cheers, hoogie[:)]
http://www.hoogie.co.nz
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 02:01:19 am by hoogie »

Chris Land

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2003, 10:26:49 am »
quote:
Originally posted by hoogie

How do find the Nomad rides unladen?? Have you changed the wheels for everyday riding?

Actually alot of fun. The handling is wonderful and steady.  The only compaint I have about my Nomad is the weight.  As it is specced for touring with a family I went the whole-hog with the wheels and have Rhyno rims with 1.75 Pasela tourguards.  Roll quite well but they are heavy so not too nippy.  I have thought about changing them, but the front hub is a dynamo and I like that for commuting in winter so it works fine for me. I also can't be bothered to take off the front racks so add another kilo there...

For faster riding I got a 700c Lee Cooper, not dissimilar to the Brevet.  A much more traditional ride but I think I will eventually upgrade to an 853 compact audax bike.  I felt that the xtc was fine for light riding and mid-range touring, but if you have the Nomad for touring already ,then a really light and fast bike for everything else seems to make more sense...

hoogie

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2003, 06:25:07 am »
Here is a quick progress pic of the replacement. Waiting for some more important bits to arrive so I can complete it ... front deraileur, Avid Shorty 6 brakes, dura ace 9sp bar ends.
Also check the website for updates ... http://www.hoogie.co.nz
cheers,
hoogie

« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 02:07:14 am by hoogie »

Chris Land

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2003, 09:18:29 am »
Lovely bike H.  What rims are you using?   I would be interested to know if you find a way to avoid the Avid 6's from squealing...  The one on-going problem I have had with my Nomad.  In fact, I'm off to post a thread on it now...

hoogie

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2003, 07:14:22 pm »
Have got two sets of wheels ...
touring set: (as seen above)
Mavic D521 rims
9sp XT hubset
SRAM 9.0 9sp cluster
Swiss DT stainless 14g/2mm straight gauge spokes
Tyres undecided as yet, maybe Conti Travel Contact?
Bombproof heavy duty touring wheelset!

everyday/commuting set:
Mavic X221 rims
9sp LX hubset
SRAM 7.0 9sp cluster
Black double butted spokes, rear 3 cross laced, front radial laced
tyres, possible Specialized Nimbus EX 26x1.5
Lighterweight everyday wheelset!

will let you know how I get on once my goodies arrive!

Istanbul_Tea

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2003, 08:34:54 pm »
Hoogie-

Judging from that photo... what are you, about 7 feet 7 inches?  Lordy, that's one HUGE headtube!