Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 2480 times)

garryac

Advice please
« on: June 23, 2004, 12:08:44 pm »
Help, I can't decide which model to go for!

I have a 30 mile  fairly hilly commute which I do three times a week,the other two week days I cycleto the station train it to london then cycle at the other end.  
I like to go at a moderatly brisk pace,16-20mph

Weekends I like to go for a long ride (wife and time permitting )  or a short ten mile all all blast to get the lungs working.

I can't decide which modleto get .An Audax or something like an XTC to cope with the dreadfullLondon Roads

help... Please

garry

Motty

Re: Advice please
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 02:15:46 pm »

I cannot help with your choice, you will have to travel down and take a test ride on them, that should help you decide but I would be interested to know which one you do eventually go for.

Cheers
Richard

luceberg

Re: Advice please
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2004, 11:47:08 pm »
I don't know if it will help with your decision, but I have a Thorn Audax which I use in it's most rugged setup, due to me weighing 15 1/2 stone and the local roads being fairly bumpy and potholed. I use the fattest tyres it will take which are 28mm for normal tyres and 32mm for Panaracers. Also I use a suspension seatpost to absorb some of the shock and improve comfort. I use this for lightweight camping touring too, putting 10lbs on the front and up to 20lbs on the back. I also ride offroad on it sometimes in summer. Lowering tyre pressure helps too, about 85psi rear and 70psi front is good for me.
  My other bike is an MTB converted tourer, so is not a direct comparison with the XTC, a few lbs. heavier and using 1.75" tyres. It's a bit slower than my Audax but feels more robust and stable.

Hope that is of some help.