Author Topic: another broken IQ Cyo  (Read 4830 times)

tpickersgill

another broken IQ Cyo
« on: October 04, 2010, 10:19:45 pm »
I've just had my third B&M Lumotec IQ Cyo stop working in about 15 months.

I'm wondering, has anyone else had any trouble with them??

The first one got water inside after a few months, but that dried out and the light kept on working for a few months more before it started flashing/flickering even when turned off. I had to disconnect it as it was too distracting for me and everyone else on the road.

The other two have worked for a couple of months each before they just faded out and died.

Has anyone else had problems with these lights?

SJS have been very good so far and replaced the first two lights for me, and I'm just about to send the third one back. Do I get another IQ Cyo or is it time to say enough's enough and get another light?

The trouble is, then I have to decide on what light to get to replace this one, and I'm not sure what will / won't be reliable as I don't want to repeat the string of problems I've had so far.

Blacksail

Re: another broken IQ Cyo
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 07:33:38 pm »
I had a similar problem with an Edelux, which shares some of the parts of the IQ Cyo, as I understand it. Mine started to dim occasionally which then moved on to turning itself off occasionally  :o.

SJS replaced immediately and it's replacement has been absolutely fine for 12 months of constant use (I have it turned on in all but the brightest sunshine) even with that failure I would happily buy one again in the future

At least with a high quality light there doesn't seem to be any quibbling if something does go wrong.

Andre Jute

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 05:46:11 am »
The problem is: which other dynamo light can you choose instead? There isn't anything as good as the Cyo except perhaps the Edelux, which is a Cyo in fancy dress. The BUMM Fly IQ has the same optics as the Cyo but one wonders if it is necessarily any better made. Beyond that you're into lesser lamps or battery lamps.

My own Cyo R nearfield has worked faultlessly for well over a year. It is left permanently switched on and used as a daylight running lamp whenever the bike is in use. It probably has around 300 hours of service. But if I had your history with the Cyo, I too would be fed up.

Hobbes

julk

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 09:24:29 am »
Christmas is coming, maybe consider a Supernova E3 as a pressie...

Fred A-M

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 03:42:16 pm »
I'd second the Supernova E3 as a quality alternative - performs faultlessly and solidly built!   

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 01:11:54 pm »
O dear this topic started literally the same day that I revived my new Cyo RT (same as a Cyo R but with 4 more daylight running leds)  If I had read this first then I would have probably have gone for the Edelux   

tpickersgill

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 10:06:44 pm »
Having spoken to the kind and helpful staff at SJS, I have returned the broken IQ Cyo and upgraded to an Edelux.

The better build quality is clear and I hope this is enough to finally give me many years of happy night cycling.

Only time will tell...

il padrone

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 09:04:04 am »
I've got the B&M iQ Cyo on four of our bikes.One has been in action for 2-3 years. Never had any problems with them.