Author Topic: Aerobars  (Read 3422 times)

aldernath

Aerobars
« on: August 05, 2010, 11:05:39 am »
Has anyone tried using aerobars in combination with Thorn comfort bars on a Rohloff-equipped bike? I'm thinking specifically of Profile Century aerobars http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Profile-Profile-Design-Century-ZB-Tri-Aerobars-429.htm I wonder whether they would fit on comfort bars and whether they would be a good idea, as providing an alternative streamlined position for faster riding when the bike is unloaded?

SPARSONS

Re: Aerobars
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 06:29:04 pm »
Hi there,
I tried it on a mountain bike with riser bars, but I found I couldn't really get comfy.
The reason I believe would be due to the top tube length, which I think would have been too long for comfort.
If you wanted a really upright position, you could try riser bars on a short top tube frame and add the aero bars for an aero option when needed. I wouldn't guarantee your comfort though.
Hope that helps?
Steve

aldernath

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 09:57:29 am »
Thanks, I see what you mean. I hadn't thought of that. I asked because I met two Dutch cyclists who had curved handlebars on their tourers with aerobars added. I didn't notice the length of their top tubes or think to ask about them. They found the arrangement useful when riding into the wind or wanting to cover distance quickly. It also gives additional hand positions on longer days, including a very upright position with the hands on the pads of the aerobars. This would be particularly valuable on a Raven Tour, say, given Thorn's discouragement of bar ends on comfort bars on Rohloff bikes.

julk

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 03:43:59 pm »
given Thorn's discouragement of bar ends on comfort bars on Rohloff bikes

I think it has been the practical difficulty of fitting a brake lever, Rohloff gear changer, handlebar grip long enough for a hand and a separate bar end all in the 190mm of straight bar before you reach the bend on the comfort bars. The bar end is usually left off or the brake lever has to be on the bend making it more awkward to reach/use.

Now that Ergon make a grip with a full size bar end included you could easily fit those on comfort bars if that is what you are after.

travelling

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 07:20:24 pm »
I think if you look for viks posts you will see he did this for a while, also tried the rohloff controls on an accesorie bar but changed that after a while.

Look for Vik's posts and perhaps read them and/or contact him through the forum?

www.thelazyrando.com is his bloggie type thingy
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 07:22:01 pm by travelling »