Author Topic: EBB Jammed - Can't tension chain  (Read 3529 times)

The Sween

EBB Jammed - Can't tension chain
« on: October 14, 2010, 07:41:07 pm »
Hi all

It's time to adjust the chain again, but this time my EBB is stuck solid >:(

I've never had problems in maybe six adjustments in the past and the EBB has always been really loose - loose enough to adjust by hand.

I could be salt in between the Ebb and the frame - I recently crossed from Panama to Colombia by boat, but the bike was stored below deck so maybe this is a red herring.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get it loose. I have cleaned it, sprayed it with half a can of WD40 and tried hitting the outside of the pedel arm as hard as I dare with a soft mallet. There are no visible signs of damage on the frame that might be jamming it in place.

I am on the road and the chain is becoming un-ridable, jumping off on bumps so any suggestions greatly appreciated....

Thanks

rualexander

Re: EBB Jammed - Can't tension chain
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 07:50:36 pm »
Take the cranks off and keep hitting it with the mallet. I've had to do this a couple off times in the past. Put some grease on when you put it back together.

expr

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 08:30:56 pm »
Sween,

you could also try riding the bike for a while with the two ebb bolts removed the action of riding the bike with them removed sometimes makes the joint become loose again, enough to whack it out.

You could try pouring boiling water over the bottom bracket while the bike is upside down to try and expand the outer joint.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 10:51:56 pm »
Sween,

Welcome to the list.

1. Remove both crank arms
2. Remove both Ebb bolts
3. Lay frame in down on the floor
4. Support the frame slightly off the floor with a few blocks of wood near the ebb shell 
5. place a piece of 'drift' against the ebb (a large socket from a socket set would be idea)
6. Give it some mussel with a mallet
7. When it comes out Grease it! (ideally with copper grease or Anti-Seize grease

NB when I say 'drift' I mean any old bit of metal  of about the right size that you don't mind bashing with a with a mallet.  You are hitting the drift against the ebb instead of hitting the bb therefore the bb take no damage.

The Sween

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 11:03:30 pm »
Wow! Helpful and speedy replies....
Thanks guys - will get to a cycle shop and try and borrow some tools to remove cranks and start bashing!

I'm a few days away from Manizales in Colombia and there will be a good bicycle workshop there I guess.

Do you know if this is this a common problem? Should I be removing and greasing the EBB regularly?

Thanks again
Martin

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 11:44:23 pm »
>Do you know if this is this a common problem? Should I be removing and greasing the EBB regularly?
I Re grease it  once a year (ever spring) together with the seat post and other stuff.

The Sween

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 01:05:35 am »
Re: re-greasing once a year - good idea, will put that on the to-do list.

Might be a daft question, but is removing the crank arms as simple as undoing the 2 large Allen bolts in the middle?

Thanks again

geocycle

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 09:08:33 am »
Re: re-greasing once a year - good idea, will put that on the to-do list.

Might be a daft question, but is removing the crank arms as simple as undoing the 2 large Allen bolts in the middle?

Thanks again

No, you remove the bolts but then need a crank extracting tool.  This screws onto the crank and forces the crank off the BB spindle.  It's not a particularly difficult job as long as you screw it squarely onto the crank (no cross threading).

rualexander

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 10:27:01 am »
No, you remove the bolts but then need a crank extracting tool.  This screws onto the crank and forces the crank off the BB spindle.  It's not a particularly difficult job as long as you screw it squarely onto the crank (no cross threading).

Unless the crank bolts are self-extracting, in which case you don't need a crank extractor. But they are not so common so you probably will need an extractor.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 01:15:31 pm »
>but is removing the crank arms as simple as undoing the 2 large Allen bolts in the middle?

It all depends (as the last two replies show).  In a cycle shop they can removing a crank in in less than 30 seconds but if you have a square taper bb then you will need a special tool - a crank puller.  Try undoing the Allen bolts  with a bit of luck you have self extracting cranks and all will be well.   (If you put a photo on here we will be able to tell what type it is)

Tip -  It takes quite a bit of force to undo the cranks.   A chain ring has teeth! And your knuckles will be close.  MAKE SURE that the chain is ON the Chain Ring.  Banging you hand on a dirty, oily chain is one thing but banging you hand on a dirty,oily and SHARP chain ring is quite another.