Author Topic: Which tent?  (Read 9135 times)

Fred A-M

Re: Which tent?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 06:40:14 pm »
Voyager Superlite maybe (lastest version 1.5 kg apparently) though still pricey admittedly?  Had I not got the Nallo in a sale for £240, I suspect my attention would probably have turned to this.

Someone may prove me wrong (gladly) but I think you might struggle to get a quality 2 person sub-2Kg tent for much less money - I'm sure John or PH would able to advise you.

Hopefully others can recommend, otherwise good luck in what ever you decide, even if it is only to accept Crux's very generous offer, entirely understandable!  Maybe do one tour with the Crux, and if weight turns out to be an issue in the mountains, then your longer-term decision might be made for you!?

« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 06:50:33 pm by Fred A-M »

FLV

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2010, 07:19:09 am »

Hopefully others can recommend, otherwise good luck in what ever you decide, even if it is only to accept Crux's very generous offer, entirely understandable!  Maybe do one tour with the Crux, and if weight turns out to be an issue in the mountains, then your longer-term decision might be made for you!?

Thats pretty much what I was thinking. I'd be crazy not to stump up £10 postage to get the Crux fixed. I'll give it a go, short warmer tours with the msr and then the bigger mountainous one I'm trying to get off the ground with the crux. Then as you say, if I feel I need to drop weight the tent is an easy kilo.

Thanks for the advice. I'd always good to pool opinions. I shall be keeping an eye open for tent sales.
FLV

philb

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2010, 05:34:53 am »

I disagree with fred having owned a MSR hubba, I would take the heavier tent without question. 2-3 nights in the Hubba would be fine, but weeks, I don't think so. The Hubba is a hiking/walking tent and built to be very light weight. This comes at the cost of comfort and strength.
Phil
Hi FLV 

If you're doing serious hills or mountain ranges, I'd suggest the first cause every kilo counts in my opinion.

However, not much fun trying to co-ordinate the emptied contents of your panniers in a one man tent or if you want to avert that coffin feeling, so on that basis the 2nd.

If you want any degree of comfort I'd suggest something in between, you could do worse than the Hilleberg Nallo (quality 2 person tent weighing 2Kg approx) or a cheaper equivalent (they do exist). 

Fred A-M

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2010, 09:05:37 pm »
Phil

For once, I was nearly at a loss for words.......however, considering that you don't appear to even have the intelligence to read beyond the first sentence of my post (let alone the rest of thread) before deciding to disagree with me, you won't of course have realised that you have nothing to disagree with me about!!!  Doh!