Author Topic: alone or not?  (Read 3235 times)

FLV

alone or not?
« on: April 20, 2010, 11:20:40 am »
Hi, I'm new to this touring stuff.
I've done some short 1,2,3 day mini tours by mountain bike and love the whole travelling by bike thing. I've decided to get to it and do some bigger tours this year. To this end, a thorn Ripio frame is on order!
My biggest question is;
-do most of you guys just go off on your own?
-do you already know people you go with?
-or do you meet up with people off here or elswhere to go places with?

I dont have an issue getting by on my own but wondered what everyone does and whats thought to be the best way

Cheers
FLV

julk

Re: alone or not?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 02:36:15 pm »
FLV,
Welcome to the forum.

I hope you enjoy your new frame once you build it up and go touring.

I tour on my own, with family (sons) and on organised events such as KM Rally.

I enjoy them all.

Solo lets you go where you want at a speed you like, eat and drink when you want, stop when you want etc., but you have to be fully self sufficient as you are on your own so there is no one to look out for you or your gear/bike.

Touring in a small group means that you have to compromise on some things, route, speed, when to stop and basically accept the group concensus. Benefits are company and sharing of some tasks, it can be good to follow the strongest wheel into a headwind or walk up a steep hill to keep the slowest member company.

Big events are nice to join in as you will make and meet friends. There are often support functions available, maybe a luggage van, bike repairs, food provided. The routes may also vary to suit different rider strengths.
Often you will benefit from social functions in the evenings.

My recommendation is try them all and see what you like.
Julian.

da_perama

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 05:16:48 pm »
In Greece, where I live , is not easy to find a group to join, so I tour on my own.
It's something like medidatation, cycling all day without talking. From the second day and on, I feel "on the road". I leave behind my everyday life and all my thoughts are about the road, the land, the bike and my body.
Touring with friends it must be a total different experience. Sharing the difficulties and enjoy the company.
Touring with a large group ... it is beyond my imagination.

FLV

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 07:41:02 am »
Thanks guys, its interesting to know your perspectives.
I'm looking forward to getting the bike ready now. it'll be about a month whilst I gather the parts though

Fred A-M

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 10:51:07 pm »
Having completed 12 or so tours of 1-3 weeks, all solo, I'd say it's down to personality.  Despite being a sociable person, I value having time to myself and cycle touring is my way of ensuring at least a week or two as such each year.  I also enjoy the sense on more remote tours of a real sense of freedom and venturing into the unknown.  Yes, it can be lonely at times, particularly on long tours, but you always meet people en route or at overnight stops sufficient to relieve any overwhelming sense of solitude.   Not for everyone I agree, but suggest you try at least a 10 day solo tour to see if it's for you or not.

Best of luck in your future adventures!

FLV

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 07:32:00 am »
Good advice Fred, I've done 4 days without bumping into another person which was wierd, but not in a bad way i dont think.

All I need to do now is
Get my bike sorted,
Pick a place and date

gearoidmuar

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 08:23:45 am »
I've done about 60 tours and mostly with people. I've toured with groups of friends up to 6 in number, extensively with my wife who's a keen cyclist, and have done about 5 tours on my own. There is a magic to being on your own in that you can stop when or where you like and do as much or as little as you like. You will nearly always meet people to talk to. I've never cyclecamped (yet!). If you're staying in a hotel on your own, eat in the bar, as you'll meet people to talk to.
The longest tour I've done was 16 days, and it was on my own. In Scotland. Magic.