Author Topic: A little maintenance advice needed, please  (Read 4138 times)

PhilD

A little maintenance advice needed, please
« on: April 14, 2010, 10:01:27 pm »
Thought I would start my own thread following last night's question about my headset over here: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=2414.0

Was hoping to double check with you helpful people before I proceed...there are some pics of my bike at http://picasaweb.google.com/Philip.Daniels1971/ThornRavenTourApr2010# I would link them inline but I have never been able to get that to work with Google Picasa.

Point 1 - headset bearing replacement
Following rualexander's advice I decided to take the bike apart tonight to double-check what type of headset & bearings it has before ordering some to replace my buggered ones. Ru was right, it looks like a fairly easy job and doesn't need any special tools. (I thought I might need a headset press, but I can see how everything fits together now, I assume you only need a headset press if you are fitting the headset's cups into the frame.) I was however a bit surprised and dismayed  :o by the amount of rust on the fork's steerer tube - I can understand the rust on the top, beause the spacers are not watertight and rain can ingress fairly easily, but the rust at the bottom looks a bit nasty. Is this anything to worry about? My plan is

1. Buy some new bearings.
2. Clean off the gunk and dirt, give the rust a brushing with wire brush.
3. Possibly get the LBS to cut the steerer down to length now that it is off the bike.
4. Grease and reassemble.

Point 2 - sprocket reversal
I put a new chain on last night, but it feels rough, so I presume the sprocket needs reversing - is the degree of wear shown in the pic about when you would do it? I have read the thread on here about how difficult it can be to get the sprocket off, but plan on giving it a shot myself, if I can't do it then I'll get the almost-LBS to do it. Plan:

1. Buy sprocket reversal tool (should have got one when I bought the bike!)
2. Buy some copper grease? I have some calcium-based grease, but copper seems to be recommended?
3. I also need to get a new quick release, I damaged this one when I came off on ice in Feb. It still seems to work fine but it's only a matter of time before I cut myself on it.

Point 3 - bottom bracket
I seem to have developed a crack in my bottom bracket (see first pic). Is this superficial, or does this need replacing as well?

Have I missed anything?  ;D

The bike has covered 5700km since I bought it last August, half of that since January. I have ridden it through the winter and done 6 x 200km early season audaxes (which at the beginning of the year seem to be of the form "ride through these huge puddles of muddy water, then ride for another 100km in the rain slogging up these hills"). Feeling a bit peeved about the amount of maintenance required here  >:( but feeling more confident about doing it myself  :) Little steps...

sbseven

Re: A little maintenance advice needed, please
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 11:53:45 pm »
I think the rust is superficial. I'd just do what you're planning, remembering not to overtighten the aheadset bolt...

That sprocket needs reversing with a new chain. The chain will grind and wear rapidly otherwise. If you have trouble removing the sprocket, try this link: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=250041 and then perhaps read this blog post I wrote: Easy Rohloff Sprocket Removal!

Assuming the BB isn't wobbling about, the cracked plastic BB Cup should be OK, but if that's a UN54 it's only £17 from SJSC...

Shaun

PhilD

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 12:11:23 am »
remembering not to overtighten the aheadset bolt...
Yep learned that one  ;D 

That sprocket needs reversing with a new chain. The chain will grind and wear rapidly otherwise. If you have trouble removing the sprocket, try this link: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=250041 and then perhaps read this blog post I wrote: Easy Rohloff Sprocket Removal!

Assuming the BB isn't wobbling about, the cracked plastic BB Cup should be OK, but if that's a UN54 it's only £17 from SJSC...

Shaun

Thanks Shaun, that looks like a very useful link. I will give SJS a ring tomorrow and get the bits ordered.

julk

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 11:44:09 am »
If you are worried about the surface rust try treating it with ACF50.
I have used it on the rusty patches on my racks and it seems to be working.

rualexander

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 03:36:20 pm »

Shaun
UN54 BB is only £11.99 from Chain Reaction including postage

PhilD

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 11:00:32 pm »
Thanks for all the advice guys. The bits are on their way...if I'm lucky they will arrive tomorrow, but probably it will be next week now.

PhilD

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 06:48:34 pm »
Update:

Steerer tube: cut down to size myself with a cheap pipe cutter from B&Q - dead easy, actually. Looks like a proper bike now with that huge stack of spacers gone  ;D
Headset bearings: replaced. Feels comfy now  ;D
Sprocket reversal: managed to get this off myself with some elbow work. Thinking of buying a better chain whip for next time though. The tranmission is running smoothly now.
Bottom bracket: left this for the moment, it doesn't seem to be affecting the ride.

expr

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 10:30:34 pm »
Hi Phil, did you replace the botton bearing split collar or just the top and bottom angular bearings, I would have been tempted to remove the split collar and remove all the rust to see how deep the rot has gone. If its only superficial then grease up the whole steerer tube afterwards to prevent further rot, or even better coat with wax oil, but let the solvent evaporate first before installing as this will attack the bearings/ oil seal. If its deeply pitted then its a no brainer....

sbseven

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 10:41:41 pm »
@expr
The OP implies the bike is only 9 months old. I'd be surprised if the rust is more than skin deep, but then again, I'm surprised at the amount of rust in the pictures after just 9 months!

@PhilD
Glad your maintenance went well!

PhilD

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 11:06:29 pm »
The rust was superficial. I removed it with emery paper then sprayed the tube with with anti-rust primer.