Author Topic: 610xl Sherpa  (Read 7710 times)

badger1

Re: 610xl Sherpa
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2010, 05:11:58 pm »
Thanks for the comment, Paul -- really appreciated (as are the other comments in this thread) and very helpful.

I suppose I'm contemplating a 'best compromise'!  I'm getting on (58) and have advancing osteoarthritis in my spine, so need a 'softish' riding bike.  My 'roadified' hardtail mtb works well enough, but it probably errs on the side of 'off-road' more than I really need, and I'm getting tired of the on-road inefficiency of suspension etc.

On the other hand, I still think I'm 25, and have always dreamt of long-distance on/off-road touring, and like to think I do and can ride quickly, even though I probably don't in relative terms!  So, I'm conflicted!

Realistically, I'm looking for a bike (I'm a 'one, good bike' sort of person) that I can use February/March through November/December on a daily basis, but which could with a few quick mods. be used for, say, an extended trip (Route Vert) up along the St Lawrence and into/even through the Gaspe -- that kind of thing.  I'm in Ontario, but we have a summer place on the Fundy coast in NB, so lots of opportunities for good riding.

paulsc

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2010, 06:52:40 am »
B,
Since you mentioned back issues, one thing to consider is the smaller wheels and fork provide a slightly harsher ride than a 700c wheel equipped bike.  I also have a Surly Cross Check and I have to say those larger hoops smooth out the bumps better.  Since you mentioned you had back issues, it might be something to consider.  Have you also looked at the Club Tour?

It is a difficult choice when trying to decide on a do-all bike since it won't be great at any one thing and OK at a lot of things.  I however am embarrassed to say I am a a N+1 type of bike owner and I am only limited by space and my wife's approval.  But if I had to get it down to only one bike, or if I was starting from scratch, I might opt for the Club Tour due to the larger wheels and since it would also be a decent road bike. 
Paul

john28july

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2010, 08:55:15 am »
Hello
I have three Thorn bikes, a Audax 853, a Club Tour and a Sherpa.Plus a Brompton of course!
Keep only one bike? Not likely but if pushed for whatever reason I would keep the Sherpa.
Its comfortable and unlike the previous posters opinion it is much more comfortable than 700c shod bikes due to the 26" tyres.These are wider for a start, stronger too. But if you are looking for a slightly quicker bike a Club Tour would suffice. A really good sporty bike then the Audax 853. If you want a training bike or winter bike a Mk 3 Audax is the bike. In my opinion.
John.

badger1

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2010, 01:21:56 pm »
Thanks again, Paul -- and John too!  I 'spose I'm running perilously close to a thread-jack here, but console myself with the hope that these kinds of questions/responses are potentially of interest to others!  They are certainly helping me; this has to be one of the most helpful/informative 'bike forums' around.
As it happens those (Sherpa or Club Tour, with Audax Mk3 also in the mix) were and are the three I've been pondering.  I began last Fall with some questions about the Ripio, but I now think a more 'road' oriented bike will be best for me, so long as it will take at least 32c tires.  Confess I do like the 'feel' of 26" wheels with widish road tires (I've been using PaselaTG 1.5 and 1.75 for a few years now), but OTOH I understand the advantages of 700c -- decisions!
Now, if only Thorn would resurrect the XTC frame ... then I could be even more conflicted ;D  Oh well -- decision at some point soon/got to take advantage of current exchange rates!