Author Topic: 610xl Sherpa  (Read 7706 times)

blazingsaddles

610xl Sherpa
« on: March 28, 2010, 10:12:37 am »
Does anybody own or has anybody ridden a 610xl Sherpa? I'm seriously thinking of getting one and would appreciate any comments. I'm wondering how stable it is under load with such a long top tube and how is the handleing generally for such a large frame with 26" wheels?

Regards,
bs

john28july

Re: 610xl Sherpa
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 11:02:13 am »
Hello
I was under the immpresion that you had as you said in this post below.

Just joined the forum today. I've recently bought a Thorn Sherpa from our hosts and I'm very pleased with it. Sometimes when I use it it will be carrying a lot of weight i.e. me at 16 1/2 stone plus luggage, therefore I've gone for xt hubs with sun rhino rims and Panaracer pasela tourguard  1.5" tyres. As this combination increases wheel weight a bit I reckon a lighter tyre might help. Has anyone tried the Panaracer Pasela Rigid bead 1.25" tyre? It only weighs 285grams! Any other suggestions please?

Regards
bs

For what its worth most of us on here are Thorn riders with a few looking to be. Please would you clear up the confusion?
John.

blazingsaddles

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 11:31:14 am »
Hello John,

Yes I can clear up the confusion. I have a 610s Sherpa and I'm considering changeing it to a 610xl Sherpa. Mainly because I've recently got a flat bar bike with a similair length top tube length and I find the flat bars on it more comfortable than drops.

Regards,
bs
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 11:39:29 am by blazingsaddles »

john28july

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 01:17:17 pm »
Hello
Thats that sorted then.
I have a 560S and use it both with drops and risers. I have not found the top tube too short although the upright position is what I need at time due to back problems,
John.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 08:56:57 am by john28july »

paulsc

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 04:50:37 am »
John,
I just sold my 610s and have an XL in the mail.  I thought the S would work but the combination of the steep ST and the short TT made me too scrunched up.  I was going to get the 585L and stay with drops but I recently converted a different bike to flat bars and I was really surprised how good it felt. Good enough to get the XL and go with a flat bar.  I will have it built up in a few weeks and will let you know but I can't imagine there being a problem with handling.  If anything, I would think it would be more stable than the S since it would have to have a longer wheelbase. 
Paul

blazingsaddles

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 05:59:28 pm »
I'd be very interested to know also please Paul. I too have found the 610s to be as you have stated. I'm seriously considering going flat bar on a 610xl.

paulsc

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 03:08:49 am »
John,
Well it arrived last week in excellent condition.   The frame and fork are flawless.  Taiwan does a great job building a bike frame.  Very well packed and this time it came with touch up paint. I don't know if Thorn improved their S and H Dept or if I was just unlucky last time because on the previous order, they used too small a box and the seat tube was sticking out and barely protected.....all of the way from the UK to Canada. 

Just treated the inside of the frame and will start putting parts on this weekend.  Unfortunately the folks I ordered my crank from forgot to mail it so I probably won't get it rolling until next week at the earliest and probably it will be a another week or so until I get motivated to load it up.  Hope you are not in a hurry. 

Paul

badger1

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 04:36:53 pm »
Hi Paul,
I take it you're in Canada?  I wonder, would you be willing to give an idea (even approximate) of shipping costs/import costs on a frame/fork (Thorn to Canada [I'm in Ont.])?  Reasonable overall?  I realize deducting VAT will cover at least part of this, but with exchange and everything ... curious to hear an actual experience with this. I've been contemplating an order (Ripio or Sherpa) -- getting close to a decision!
B.

paulsc

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 05:15:26 pm »
B.
Shipping was about $124.00 which I thought was reasonable when I consider the quality of the frame and overall cost of the transaction.  This was my 3rd Thorn and the shipping has always been easy.  It usually takes about a week to get here.  The packaging on this one was especially good. 
Paul

farmer palmer

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 11:28:06 pm »
I'm 6 foot 4 and 95kg so I bought a 610XL Sherpa in january for an upcoming Iceland trip and I have the flat bar option with front and rear Thorn racks aswell as a 36/48 XT wheel option with 2 inch Schwalbe Marathon XRs and with Deore 27 speed gears. The bike is very stable when fully loaded with all my camping gear even on fast 35mph plus descents. I've not had any bad experiences re handling under load or unladen though the bike is a bit sluggish compared to my Trek 6000 ATB which I use most.

I have been very careful mounting my Ortleib panniers and spent a lot of time setting the hook spacings and padded the pannier frames with velcro 'smooth' side to stop any rattling or vibration from the panniers when mounted on the racks. I did this before any higher speed 'shakedown' tests and i'm very happy with both the bike and the luggage.....!

I also use an Ortleib barbag and Thorn mount which i'm very pleased with as it keeps the bartop clear for computer and GPS etc.

So far it's a very well made 'belt and braces' touring/expedition bike along the lines of a two wheeled Landrover and it's been good value for money aswell as being relatively simple and best of all its 'stealth black'!

FP.

badger1

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 01:12:46 pm »
Thanks much for that info, Paul -- very helpful as I had no real idea.  That, plus current reasonable exchange rates very encouraging!
B.

paulsc

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 05:09:07 am »
Here it is.  I have ridden it twice and it feels REALLY good to be using flat bars again.  The bike handles great unloaded and compared to other touring bikes I have used including the 520 and especially the LHT, it is much quicker.  I used flat bars for touring until about 2002 and then switched to drops and never looked back due to the multiple hand positions but it is like a homecoming using a basic flat bar again.  I forgot how natural it feels. I am trying to stay mostly on the dirt when I tour, so flat bars make a lot more sense now. 

I really like the Thorn bar ends but they don't give quite as many hand positions as a traditional bar end.  I need more time with them to make a final decision. 

Definitely no style points for the amount of headset spacers I used but I wanted to get the bike going and used what I had.  I have since ordered some 20ml.

Now we need to decide on either Newfoundland/Nova Scotia or just stay closer to home this summer and ride the Canada Great Divide from Banff south. 

badger1

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 01:24:31 pm »
Paul,

Looks very nice!  If I might ask for further comment re. 'quicker' -- I know it's early days, but is your sense that unloaded the Sherpa is lively/quick enough (assuming a lightish build) to function well as a fastish (but stable ;D), quick-handling commuting/longish day-ride bike which could be switched to medium-load touring duties from time to time?
I'm very tempted by the bike/its 'concept' if you like, but will be 'buying blind' so trying to gather these kinds of impressions.
Thanks for any comment!

B.

paulsc

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 02:40:39 pm »
B.
Hard to answer since it's so relative to what you are use to.  I also have a custom road bike which is obviously a lot quicker and I would reach for this bike if I were doing a long day ride.  If all I had was the Sherpa, I would throw on some Pasela TGs 1.25s and and not look back.  My LHT was a very fun stable bike but just a slug IMO but I have read where others consider it a great do all bike probably because it's their only bike and perhaps a recent upgrade from something even slower. 

What do you mean by medium load touring and what kind of roads will be you be on?  If you would be doing the occasional tour on pavement but mostly need a bike for commuting and day rides, you might be better off with something like the Jamis Coda series.  Fast and nimble but OK for the occasional tour. 

The Sherpa is a full on expedition touring bike so if you don't think you will have the need to install 2.0 tires w/ fenders, it might be overkill.

Having said that, it's nice to know you can and it's a fun bike to ride.  Sometimes fun doesn't always mean fast.
Paul

blazingsaddles

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 03:22:15 pm »
Thanks Farmer Palmer and Paul. Some great useful info there and I'll be ordering one myself. At the moment I'm undecided as whether to just buy a frame and transfer the components off my existing 610s Sherpa and sell the frame, or to buy a whole new bike and sell my 610s complete. There may not be much in it.

That looks a great bike Paul, and even better than in the Thorn catalogue  :)