Author Topic: Prop stands for tandems  (Read 5806 times)

johnacave

Prop stands for tandems
« on: March 27, 2010, 10:41:28 am »
Intending to do more touring and for longer I have read a number of advice sites recommending propstands and I can see the value of these. The Thorn site does say that using some propstands invalidates frame warranty as may crush chainstays. Any advice as to whether we should get one or not and if so what type.

mylesau

Re: Prop stands for tandems
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 01:07:16 pm »
I use a click-stand on my tourer and recommend it.  Though it takes a little time to unfold and fold it is actually more versatile than an attached kick stand as you can put it on either side and it adjusts easily to different ground slopes.

sbseven

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 01:22:21 pm »
Certainly works well on my loaded Raven Nomad. Very stable indeed. Might you possibly need two though for a (heavily) loaded tandem? I don't know. May be worth emailing the designer.

Shaun

johnacave

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 03:17:08 pm »
mylesau - thanks for the response and the click stand certainly answers the warranty issue as well as looking a very useful piece of kit -Thanks

il padrone

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 05:40:35 am »
I just run a regular BB-mounted kickstand on my tandem. It's far enough back along the axis between the steering head and the rear tyre contact patch to not be destabilised when the handlebars turn sideways. Also it has worked quite well to hold the tandem with loaded panniers on it.

Normally I use a rear stay-mounted kickstand on my single bikes, but the tandem has the drum brake reaction arm mount in the way.

il padrone

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 05:44:22 am »
The Thorn site does say that using some propstands invalidates frame warranty as may crush chainstays. Any advice as to whether we should get one or not and if so what type.

Generally this is over-rated. To crush the chainstays would require you to seriously over-tighten the mounting bolt. Take sensible care with mounting your stand (as you no doubt do with all components) and it is a non-issue.

mickeg

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 12:21:41 pm »
Several Surly Long Haul Trucker owners have crushed their chainstays by over-tightening the kickstand bolts.  I have a kickstand mounted on the chainstays just behind the bottom bracket on my Long Haul Trucker but I did not tighten the bolt very tightly.  On my Thorn Sherpa I use a rear stay mounted kickstand that is close to the rear dropout.  I think the issue is that most kickstands come with a very large bolt that requires a wrench with a long handle, but that bolt does not need as much torque as you can apply with a long handled wrench. 

I don't have a tandem so I can't offer specifics on that.