Author Topic: Audax Mk 3 wheel question  (Read 1845 times)

Paulson

• My Blog
Audax Mk 3 wheel question
« on: March 19, 2010, 05:53:11 pm »
I have a set of American Classic victory road wheels on my Audax Mk3 at the mo, as transferred over from my old road bike.  They run 25mm panaracer paselas, but I need some objkective advice.

These wheels do the job - they're round, and true!!!  And also quite light weight.  But they're road race wheels and as I am doing longer and longer rides on country roads, and have the possibility now to do some light weight touring, I have spoken to Mick Madgett at Madgetts in Diss (my local-ish bike shop), about getting some handmade touring standard wheels made up, prob on Deore hubs of some grade (135mm wide).  He has shown me a couple of the kind of 700c touring rims he uses, and reckons on a starting price of about £150-170 a pair. 

The issue I suspect with my present wheels is comfort (they are medium section and this very stiff), and weight (they aren't designed for carrying weight).

So....if I were to invest in a new set of wheels, would the increase in comfort be noticeable?  Would the weight be significantly greater than a set of roadie wheels?  What grade of shimano hubs would propel recommend, Deore, 530, XT? 

Thanks...

jags

Re: Audax Mk 3 wheel question
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 08:25:21 pm »
mavic 719 rims xt hubs stainless steel spokes brass niples  rim tape marathon supreams tyres  ;)
every bit as fast as what you have very comfy i would have thought .
where the weight comes in on the rear is the chosen cassett you go for .sram or xt bob's your uncle ;)