Author Topic: Rohloff mtb?  (Read 2388 times)

travelling

Rohloff mtb?
« on: March 13, 2010, 09:58:25 pm »
I saw this on ebay and it looks quite like a mixture of very exspenive parts but I must admit to being ignorant and thought the rohloffs were more touring than mtb

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Carbon-Scott-Strike-Ltd-Lefty-USE-SUB-HUB-and-Rohloff_W0QQitemZ120539144384QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Bikes_GL?hash=item1c10b160c0

Andre Jute

Re: Rohloff mtb?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 10:45:30 pm »
I ..... thought the rohloffs were more touring than mtb

Herr Rohloff was brassed off that the geartrain on his mountainbike was destroyed in a single ride on a beach, and designed his hub gearbox specifically as an industrial-strength replacement for MTB competition. That's one reason the Rohloff hub gearbox is halfway to being an agricultural implement. It is ironic that the first manufacturer to embrace the reliable Rohloff HGB was the German firm Utopia, makers of upmarket touring and utility bikes -- and not a single MTB! And we're here on a site paid for by Thorn, who took to the Rohloff for making -- wait for it! -- touring bikes, though Thorn did much later add an off-road MTB. (Maybe someone more glib than me can stretch a point to breaking and argue that the Ravens run on sturdy 26in wheels and are therefore touring mountainbikes.) On the Continent there are a few makers of classy offroad bikes who offer the option of Rohloff hub, and various offroad racing teams use them; it may easily be that most are sold for that kind of use, and that the impression that you have, in common with the rest of us, that most Rohloffs ever made seem to be on touring bikes, arises merely because we're into touring bikes rather than the other kind: we generalize from what we know. -- Andre Jute

avdave

Re: Rohloff mtb?
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 08:52:35 pm »
Well I thought my Rohloff was good when my Catalyst was an on road commuter, now it's a  mountain bike and an all year round off road commuter. As far as I'm concerned it's a bigger improvement to an off road bike than a road one. Over the last 2 winters I've just wiped the chain clean and reapplied GT85 as required. That's it along with the annual oil change. Current conditions are deep mud slippery chalk and tractor ruts full of water and the only thing that's been able to stop me are winds that blow me into the ploughed fields at the side of the trail.